What is a "logged dive"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been going through my dive log and found a few dives where the depth could be 15-20 ft for 3 min is this logable? Or maybe 5-10ft for 6 min and so on. Should I disregard these dives?

Pretty simple and not as smart-assed as it might seem: A logged dive is one that you put in your log. You need to decide which ones you want to log. There are a million right answers.

Pretty simple and not as smart-assed as it might seem: A logged dive is one that you put in your log. You need to decide which ones you want to log. There are a million right answers.

Well what got me thinking is I was reading up on PADI's Master Diver course. Some of the qualifications is 5 specialty's, Rescue and 50 logged dives. So I started counting and was looking for the norm?

Do you consider a 3 minutes under the water at 15-20' a dive? if you do, put it in your log. it's your dive log. Somebody else going through your log might not consider 3 minutes down a dive though.

For the purpose of continuing education. Padi considers loggable dives as 20 feet for 20 minutes or consuming 1000 lbs of air which ever comes first. As for general logging any thing you want is a logged dive

k ellis is giving good knowlege for of what for PADI counts as a dive. But IME, that is a guideline for teaching a class. No one ever bothered to enforce depth for logged dives in my log books, when I was presenting them for Divemaster, Instructor, etc. They did get strict about time, and did not count dives of less than twenty minutes

This is the more important overall point. If you have a dive in your computer that is only three or four minutes long, then you probably had some sort of difficulty that brought you back to the surface right away: not enough weight, forgot to defog your mask, didn't start your backup timepiece, etc.

What happened? Make sure that gets written down in you log book, so that you can learn and remember, and fifty dives experience becomes 50 dives experience, and not one dive done 50 times.

Wow!

Do people still talk about the Warhammer manoeuvre? This must date back to 2001 or 2002! I can remember it quite clearly, particularly the photo that went with it!

Jon

Back
Top Bottom