Visual Date... beginning or end of the month?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since the Visual Date on my tanks is June 2010, can I get fills towmorrow without having to have the tanks inspected since it will still be June???

At our shop yes. I guess it's probably not a good idea to actually go 13 months between visuals, but as to IF you can do it--how would any shop know when only the month is on there.

In the San Diego area, there are a couple of shops with the policy that the VIP expires on the first day of the month.
For instance, if the tank's most recent VIP was performed on June 30, 2010, and it was marked as "June 2010," a new VIP would be required on June 1, 2011. Essentially, this policy can result in the shortest interval between two VIPs being 11 months. If your store has a similar policy, you might want to wait until July 1 to get the new VIP if that is compatible with your dive plans.

I've also visited a number of dive shops that deem VIP expiration to occur at the end of the month. :idk:

I'd recommend calling the shop ahead of time to inquire about the specifics of the VIP policy. Some shops can do on-the-spot VIPs, and others have someone who does them once a week. It would be inconvenient, to say the least, if you were expecting an on-the-spot fill and, for whatever reason, the shop wouldn't have the tank ready (with fresh VIP and fill) until the following week.

I got 4 tanks filled up today in a shop that doesn't know me (I'm on vacation). All 4 tanks had a vis of June 2010. Before filling them, they did inspect my tanks for hydro info, vis info, and alloy 6351. I was never asked for a cert card, though.

Call ahead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom