Wrist or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so I am looking to buy a Dive Computer. Air or Nitrox is not relevant. What I would like to know is do you prefer wrist or console mounted and why. I tried the search function but got no results. Mask gauges are way to pricey. Thanks, Tony:coffee:

I tried the search function but got no results

site:scubaboard.com wrist or console scubaboard.com - Google Search

Wrist all the way for mine, screw consoles

0_61_endless_ocean_shot_2-795480.jpg

Last edited:
A few points of consideration here-
Where do you place your compass?
If you get a console with analog air gauge, you still have an SPG working if the batteries die on a dive.
If you get the wrist setup, you will have two things to keep and eye on, instead of the console setups.
If you get one with digital air gauging on it, it will usually have a program for your home pc to log dives and your air usage which saves you having a paper logbook(if you care about logs)- but if it runs out of battery you'll have to surface because you won't be able to know how much air you have left and might ruin the rest of your day unless you carry batteries or a spare spg.
I got the mares puck 2 mission console and I like it, does all I want and cost me $275- does nitrox and deco stops, battery lasts about 100dives.
Cheers,
Damo

If you get a console with analog air gauge, you still have an SPG working if the batteries die on a dive... if it runs out of battery you'll have to surface because you won't be able to know how much air you have left and might ruin the rest of your day unless you carry batteries or a spare spg

These are only applicable to air integrated computers. The OP is asking about wrist versus console mount, not AI

Last edited:
Rent a few different units and see what you prefer, some like wrist mount, some like console mount, it's personal preference. My personal preference is a Suunto Cobra, it is a small air integrated console with a compass. All my info is in one place and when I put on my rig, I have all my gauges attached.

Wear it on wrist. It is easier to look at it. Imagine only that you need to both deflate your BC for ascending and look at the computer (and the computer is a console). Not nice.

I just recently switched to wrist mount for my computer and find it's much easier for me to check without a lot of effort. I keep my hands clasped in front of me as much as I can so it's basically just moving my eyes to see it versus moving my arm and head to see it when it was on a console.
I now just clip my spg to my right chest d-ring and can easily glance at that too. Best config I've tried so far for checking my gauges.

That said, I only had about 10 dives with it on a console and now 6 or 8 with it on my wrist.

Personally, if you were considering wrist vs. console mount for a non-air-integrated (non-AI) computer, I'd say wrist.

AI computers come in two flavours - hoseless (which have transmitters and are expensive) and "non-hoseless." Something to consider is that you can get non-hoseless AI computers for less than the cost of a pressure gauge plus wrist-mount computer. The only thing which I don't like about this approach is that often the AI computer comes which a quick-disconnect (which is good) on a hose which is rather long (which is not so good).

Happy diving!

For me, it depends what kind of BCD you have. If you have a jacket type with a pass through pocket, I would go with a console. If you have any other type of BCD, you are either going to have draggy hose or have to clip something off, with a hose that is too long even when it is clipped off. Once you have to clip off (rather than extend and retract through a pass through pocket) then wrist mounted works better, and either a clipped SPG on a shorter hose, or an AI computer.

But that's just me. I wear my SPG over my shoulder so I do not have to worry about clipping it off, since I rarely wear a jacket BCD with pass through pockets. If I did, I'd use a console, because it is simpler. I hate having to strap ten things on my wrists, and then have them hang on my BCD when I am pulling it on. My 'wrist' computer is usually strapped to my bcd for just that reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom