1st time diving with computer - silly question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samcraig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My apologies for such a silly question - but I'm always of the belief that better to ask than assume...

Anyway - first time diving next week in Cozumel with my mares puck. I've never had a dive computer before - I always used tables. So my question is this....

I understand completely how the computer works - but wanted to confirm. After my first dive.... the computer will keep track of my surface interval and then when I dive again that day - it will automatically adjust allowable bottom time/etc? Is that correct.

So if I do three dives - that third dive will be based on 1st + surface + 2nd + surface...

Just confirming. I naturally assume so - or what would be the point in using it...

Its should. My mares IconHD does. It also calculates no fly time, and adjusts bottome time on the fly when you change depth.

have you spent any time reading the manual?

Of course I have. I took the e-learning class too. It doesn't say specifically that it does (at least the elearning didn't) - it just said it records the dive, calculates no fly time, adjusts bottom time on the fly based on depth, etc. But it doesn't meant specifically 2nd, 3rd, 4th dives...

my apology - thats pretty poor documentation if it isn't taking you through what is shown after your first dive, and the pre-dive planning for #2 (or #3, etc.). I'm surprised the e-learning isn't doing this (more like disgusted) if it isn't covered.

Yes, it'll take into account repetitive diving and surface intervals.

The elearning and manual do state that in planning mode - you can scroll through no decompression limits based on residual nitrogen levels. It does not say specifically that on subsequent dives, that it adjusts the bottom time. I have to assume yes though as what would be the point if it didn't...

Theoretically! Yes...

However depending on the PDC you have. Prior to the dive(s) to need to set a few things. i.e. Depth, air....

This will control the SI and No Deco for up to 24Hours.

I strongly advise you to read the manual you'll learn a lot about the dive computer. Error messages and Penalties. When you dive "if you get a message and your not aware of it's meaning. Reading the manual will enlighten you of the interpretation"

Have fun and dive!!!

My apologies for such a silly question - but I'm always of the belief that better to ask than assume...

Anyway - first time diving next week in Cozumel with my mares puck. I've never had a dive computer before - I always used tables. So my question is this....

I understand completely how the computer works - but wanted to confirm. After my first dive.... the computer will keep track of my surface interval and then when I dive again that day - it will automatically adjust allowable bottom time/etc? Is that correct.

So if I do three dives - that third dive will be based on 1st + surface + 2nd + surface...

Just confirming. I naturally assume so - or what would be the point in using it...

Thare are no silly questions. You read the manual, were left with questions, and ended up worried about your well-being. Ask away - I do.

Enjoy the dives!

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom