Had to thumb a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Horn

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I had to call off a dive today because of all thing, we forgot our flag.:lookaround: Normally I might not have worried about this much, as the place we were diving at is pretty secluded and not alot of traffic. This however being Fourth of July weekend kick off, the water was beat up, higher than normal, boats everywhere (not even going to speculate on sobriety of drivers), so we opted to not go. It was over 100 degree's here today (In Missouri) and I badly wanted under that water, my alternative could have been to go to the other side of the lake to a popular dive spot inside of a boat restricted area and perhaps hope for other divers, but it was late in the day. I had all my stuff packed, and I took it with me to work, just so we could go straight there and squeeze in a dive, it just didn't work out, and We did not have a good feeling about it. What would you guys have done? I hope the rest of you had better starts to the week end.

First off congrats on calling a dive!

Seriously it's an ego thing many people never overcome.

Wrt the flag... Put a small smb in a pocket or leave it in the car so your never without!

I feel your pain. S#it happens.

I hate it when I show up for a spring dive and find my drysuit has shrunk over the winter and no longer fits over my increasingly athletic body type.

I feel your pain.--I'mm looking out my window at mid winter PERFECT blue skies and no wind. Mid winter dives here are clear water down to 30m. I finally have a feree day and I'm pannning a 2 tank dive at a place called Little Barrier island All that and the dive boat called to say its rainy and windy where they are and they might call the trip off...--arggg

So why not go home for the flag and return?

White underpants, cleverly ripped. Blue BIC ballpoint, with end cut off and drained into an empty coke can with some water. Pants dyed blue/white. A short length of string....

Either that or wear red underpants... and get a small bottle of bleach from the 7/11...

Jobs a good one!

It probably wont be the last dive you thumb...don't sweat it. I've thumbed dives many times for various reasons: cramping hamstring I couldn't get to stop locking up, couldn't clear ear, and once because I just didn't feel good about the conditions (I was very new at the time).

At the end of the day it's cheaper than dead or hurt. The only lives that depended on you making that dive were yours.

So why not go home for the flag and return?

Yes, It was already 5:30, I was about 1.5 hours from home. Really only going to have time for MAYBE two dives if we hurried. No biggie, gonna try again monday afternoon, maybe things will pan out

White underpants, cleverly ripped. Blue BIC ballpoint, with end cut off and drained into an empty coke can with some water. Pants dyed blue/white. A short length of string....

Either that or wear red underpants... and get a small bottle of bleach from the 7/11...

Jobs a good one!

This is Hilarious, and one I would definately try! :D The problem would be that I wear a certain kind of spandex underarmor underwear when I dive that looks pretty much like bicycle shorts so I can just swap right into my wet suit and even in a crowded beach area, no one really knows that I'm standing there in my undies. These are black that I have, I might need to see if I can buy some in red! I really am still giggling at the thought of this, it so sounds like something my buddy and I would try. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom