a few from molasses today, 7/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
current ripping @ molasses and the wrecks this AM, shallow and deep. elected to fight the current and double dip on the southern most shallow buoy, fewest boats around. 1st dive: seas 1ft, current, blue water, viz 40-50FT, sunshine and 83F. 3 eagle rays, nurse sharks and fishy. 2nd: viz declined to 30FT(outgoing tide and particulates, tough wide angle conditions) as the strong current continued, again a lot of fish. 100HP steels(3600LBS), nearly 4 hours underwater. it was a tough go moving along in the exposed areas, thankfully i carry no camera! tomorrow, south carysfort,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• _DSC6133.jpg
    _DSC6133.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 73
  • _DSC6155.jpg
    _DSC6155.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 72
  • _DSC6162.jpg
    _DSC6162.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 69
  • _DSC6170.jpg
    _DSC6170.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 72
  • _DSC6237.jpg
    _DSC6237.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 65
  • _DSC6248.jpg
    _DSC6248.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 70
  • _DSC6304.jpg
    _DSC6304.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 66
  • _DSC6422.jpg
    _DSC6422.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 72
  • _DSC6440.jpg
    _DSC6440.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 63
  • _DSC6469.jpg
    _DSC6469.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 63
  • _DSC6488.jpg
    _DSC6488.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 65
  • _DSC6511.jpg
    _DSC6511.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 68
  • _DSC6533.jpg
    _DSC6533.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 64
  • _DSC6584.jpg
    _DSC6584.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 69
Beautiful! Not a big fan of current so will continue to enjoy vicariously through your photos. I feel bad for the barracuda with the jig in his mouth. Pink, no less.

Thanks to both of you for your kind comments.

We saw about 8 big cudas at the cave. There was another one with a steel leader in his jaw, but I did not send that one to Reefman. One of the nurse sharks we saw also had a hook in him. I am seeing this a lot more this year than in the past.

Nice pix. In the afternoon we went to Snappers and I was surprised how strong the current was. The early am reports said light current at snappers

Nice pix. In the afternoon we went to Snappers and I was surprised how strong the current was. The early am reports said light current at snappers

the forecasted(0430Z) winds today of 5-10kts in the AM were actually 18-20KTS @ 0800z @MLRF. we bagged going to carysfort and were staying @ the dock as the more popular reefs will be jammed when the wind lays down..maybe early tomorrow,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Thanks for sharing more great pics!
Gotta agree the current yesterday on MoReef was a little more challenging at Spanish Anchor at the south end than it was on my first dive at Winch Hole further north.

I really enjoyed the pictures. The 4th one in the series has a nice composition. I've seen more than one Barracuda with a hook in it's mouth.

Did my Middle Keys reconnoitering trip on Friday, July 1st, after my BHB morning dive. I guess I'm glad I did it, but, dang, it's an awfully long way down there from West Palm. And the traffic. . . I may never go south of Lauderdale By The Sea, ever again. Well, maybe down to Reef Photo and Video. Didn't even make it to Marathon.

Checked out a couple of boat rental spots. The differences were quite interesting. One offered electronics for navigation, the other didn't.

Looks like four divers and eight tanks wouldn't be a problem. But, I often can't even find *one* dive buddy for my Florida trips, so looks like it ain't gonna happen.

Did find a very affordable little mom and pop motel, thanks to the nice ladies at one of the dive shops in Islamorada - 39 bucks, Sundays thru Thursdays in the non-snowbird months. And, they had the coolest outdoor land crab guarding the office. . .

I'm *still* worn out from that drive.

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom