staying safe while snorkeling alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SashaS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
hi there,

I am getting read to go on a solo trip to St. Lucia, and I just wondered what people think about snorkeling alone. I did it on Grand Cayman last year without incident, but I guess I am just wondering if I am taking enough safety precautions. Other notes: I'll be snorkeling from the shore. In some cases I'll be in areas specifically designated for snorkelers; in other cases not. Here are the precautions I already know to do:

- wear a safety vest.
- bring a whistle with me in the water.
- use a bright yellow snorkel for visibility.
- don't go too far from shore.
- snorkel only in areas where there are other people around.
- bring first aid supplies and CPR instructions to the beach.

I am a strong swimmer, but of course want to make sure I'm taking as many precautions as possible. I think my main concerns are encountering something bad in the water (I think I read in another thread that getting intertwined in fishing rope can be an issue, but I can't find that post now) and getting run down by a drunken boater.

Is there anything else I should be doing or considering?

Thanks so much,
Sasha

I'd make sure you're wearing some kind of exposure protection (a rashguard or diveskin) in case you run across any jellyfish or other critters. Also, if you think you'll be diving down at all & poking around for shells or other stuff (don't touch any coral) I'd have some type of gloves on for your hands. They don't have to be anything elaborate like lobster gloves, etc - just something rather than nothing. Don't forget to slather the sunscreen regularly too & bring a camera to share pix with us here. Have fun!

I do not go snorkeling without a knife. It is an essential piece of gear, much more important than a vest or a whistle...

but don't forget the CPR instructions, I like to keep a copy in a water proof bag tied around my neck..

Thanks so much for the great suggestions!!

dumpsterDiver, if I don't have a knife, would scissors be a decent substitute? What's the range of things that you anticipate needing the knife for?

thanks!
Sasha

For a fit, competent swimmer, I think the biggest risk by far while snorkeling is getting hit by a boat or jet ski. Selecting areas away from boat traffic to snorkel is probably the best defense. Stay alert for boat noise. If your safety vest were bright yellow that would help. Maybe consider towing a flag? Aside from the first two suggestions, however, I can't say that I take these precautions myself.

Thank you, vladimir! My vest is indeed bright yellow, so that should help. I have been thinking about a dive flag, but I read in another forum that dive flags shouldn't be used when someone is not actually diving -- of course that was just one person's opinion, but I wasn't sure about the proper conventions. I also read somewhere that inexperienced boaters might mistake the flag for ... something else, but sadly I can't find the thread where I read that, so I'm not sure whether that was a valid concern. Anyway, it does seem logical that a flag would help someone spot you.

Even if you do just surface-snorkeling, fishing line is a major hazard, you want to be equipped for.
If you feel a knife is overkill, you could check out line/cable cutters as an alternative, wouldn't recommend scissors, takes too long to get them ready. IMO, a knife/line cutter is the best option, two very important points: a) accessibility for both hands, in case, one of your arms gets tangled up, and b) a reliable, easy-to-operate sheath/holster release mechanism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom