Advice on Dehumidifiers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hope so one can help me with advice on a dehumidifier. I have a basement live in the south keep all my dive gear in the basement. Wondering if the dehumidifier will harm Bcd mask wetsuit etc.

Probably help rather than hurt the wetsuit and BCD. With a little luck it will prevent them from mildewing. Personally, I'd keep these two item upstairs.

There are lot of issues with this question.

Is it a finished basement?
Is it well maintained?
Clean or dirty?
Bricks or Dry wall?
Any windows?
Carpets?

Where dirt, dust, bad air and other particles in the air. Affect the quality of the air. The removal of the moisture from the dehumidifier can't really cause much problems to the equipment.

Avoid storing equipment in non dry areas.

Plastic Bags
Material bags with plastic lining

Wetsuit, protection guard, socks, gloves etc.

Ensure that it's clean and dry prior to storing.

BCD

Apply disinfectant around the valves of the inflator hose and the air release. Ensure that it's clean and dry. Free from salt water crystal. Follow factories guidelines.

Regulators

Disinfect the mouth piece and the surrounding. Rinse very well, and let dry completely.

Store in a closed and dry place. Allow ventilation every week or so. Never hurts. If your going to store for a long time. Wash, rinse and dry your equipment every couple of month or so. To prevent from really driving or freezing up or other climate conditions that arise.

Think of this similar to things not used for a while. They tend to be in a state that require re-awaking. Keeping them active maintained preserves the life of the product or item.

"Keep your items well and they'll serve you well too."
Have fun diving...

I live in the south. Without a dehumidfier, everything in the basment gets coated in mildew.

I bought a dehumidifier 7 years ago for my semi-finished basement. It has been running continuously for 7 years. It works and I love it.

I have a drain in the floor, so I run a vented hose from the the water collection container in the dehumidifier to the floor drain. Without a vented hose, air gets trapped in the hose and it doesn't drain. (I just punched a few holes into the top of the hose to vent it.)

My dehumidfier has a 2 quart water collection container. It will fill up in less than a day. Without the drain hose, it would always be overflowing.

If you don't have a drain in your basement, you are going to have to find another way of dealing with all the water that is collected as the air is dehumidified. Maybe put the dehumidifier on a stand, with a drain hose dropping into a large 5-to-20 gallon container. You'll have to carry the container upstairs to dump it.

Back
Top Bottom