SS vs AL backplate question, please help out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ntino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know this has been mentioned in many threads, and i have read nearly all of them.
However, each scenario is slightly different so i need advice that would work for my diving situation.

Switching to a wing/bp from a jacket BC.

This is geared towards diving with an AL80 with a 3mm.
I am 6' and 150lbs, so slim, with longer legs shorter torso, lean, no fat, slender bones.
I am neutrally buoyant in trunks but have relatively large lung capacity to body volume, so if i breath in I am very positive, breathe out very negative.
I normally need 6 lbs. I might be slightly light on exit with very low air but I can compensate with breathing and also I suspect the BC i was using is very buoyant, although dont know how much.

going to get a DSS wing/bp, and after talking to Tobin he suggested I get a SS backplate and smallest wing.
His math is nearly empty AL (4) + 3mm (4), thats 8 lbs.
SS plate+harness -6lbs-2lbs reg= -8.

Sounds perfect.
But after researching more, I am not so sure anymore...
First, what about stuff I add on, such as torch, a couple of bolt snaps, what ever else and negative fins, another thing about fins is that I am slightly leg heavy, so idealy I need a small (1lbs) weight pocket at the front to compensate for fins, and being leg heavy.
AND I would spend most of the dive overweighted by about 6lbs (say a 90ft dive +1lb for the 3mm and -4 for the full AL plus the reg and the wingplate thats -9lbs).

The kydex plate on the other hand is only 2lbs negative I think and I could use a small cam band weight. I kinda want to heed Tobins advice on this but counting in the fact that I was using a BC with only 6lbs the BC itself is probably 4lbs positive.

Hopefully there are people who have been in this situation before and can give me some solid advice. Also, I dont care about detach-ability of the weights.

So Kydex or SS?
Help me out please!

My opinion would be SS.

Last edited:
Go with SS. You'll be a little more buoyant with an empty al 80. My frame is a lot like yours and I dive SS.

If you fly to dive destinations, I'd go KYDEX (I've got 3 of Tobin's 'medium' KYDEX plates, and that probably saves me 3 - 4 lbs off my travel weight (less weight to lug around topside and less weight for airlines to bill ya for). If I need the ballast, I'd rather use the lead provided on site for that.

I know this has been mentioned in many threads, and i have read nearly all of them.
However, each scenario is slightly different so i need advice that would work for my diving situation.

Switching to a wing/bp from a jacket BC.

This is geared towards diving with an AL80 with a 3mm.
I am 6' and 150lbs, so slim, with longer legs shorter torso, lean, no fat, slender bones.
I am neutrally buoyant in trunks but have relatively large lung capacity to body volume, so if i breath in I am very positive, breathe out very negative.
I normally need 6 lbs. I might be slightly light on exit with very low air but I can compensate with breathing and also I suspect the BC i was using is very buoyant, although dont know how much.

going to get a DSS wing/bp, and after talking to Tobin he suggested I get a SS backplate and smallest wing.
His math is nearly empty AL (4) + 3mm (4), thats 8 lbs.
SS plate+harness -6lbs-2lbs reg= -8.

Sounds perfect.
But after researching more, I am not so sure anymore...
First, what about stuff I add on, such as torch, a couple of bolt snaps, what ever else and negative fins, another thing about fins is that I am slightly leg heavy, so idealy I need a small (1lbs) weight pocket at the front to compensate for fins, and being leg heavy.
AND I would spend most of the dive overweighted by about 6lbs (say a 90ft dive +1lb for the 3mm and -4 for the full AL plus the reg and the wingplate thats -9lbs).

The kydex plate on the other hand is only 2lbs negative I think and I could use a small cam band weight. I kinda want to heed Tobins advice on this but counting in the fact that I was using a BC with only 6lbs the BC itself is probably 4lbs positive.

Hopefully there are people who have been in this situation before and can give me some solid advice. Also, I dont care about detach-ability of the weights.

So Kydex or SS?
Help me out please!

With a SS plate, which puts ballast high on your body, you are unlikely to need any trim weights.

Most "torches" aren't very negative.

Tobin

If I could only have one backplate, it would be a lighter one. You can always add lead, but you can't remove backplate. If you only intend to dive AL80s with 3mm wetsuits, you're probably okay, but I've been in the situation of diving steel tanks with no wetsuit, and my SS plate would be been way too heavy for that. If this doesn't apply to you, don't worry about it and get the steel.

I mostly dive single 80AL and fly to my diving destinations. I specifically need to know what is the best back plate for me using an AL and 3mm. I might dive more SS doubles in the future but I would at least need a different wing for that obviously.

If I could only have one backplate, it would be a lighter one. You can always add lead, but you can't remove backplate. If you only intend to dive AL80s with 3mm wetsuits, you're probably okay, but I've been in the situation of diving steel tanks with no wetsuit, and my SS plate would be been way too heavy for that. If this doesn't apply to you, don't worry about it and get the steel.

... I specifically need to know what is the best back plate for me using an AL and 3mm.....

Well, if you won't listen to Tobin on the issue I don't know why you would listen to me, but the answer is SS.

Well, if you won't listen to Tobin on the issue I don't know why you would listen to me, but the answer is SS.
I am listening! thats why i posted this!
I just dont want to regret not buying the lighter plate and want to see what most people with my build use for rec diving.
again, i appreciate all the advice i am getting from you guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom