Best time of year for the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarada

Contributor
Reaction score
Starting to plan a trip for 2012. What is the best time of year for the Maldives? Want to see whale sharks and clear water.

Best time from January till april will be good. I'm doing trips then on our newest luxury liveaboard. Please check: Ark Venture and you will find prices and schedules as well.

Cheers

Shaff

Maldives has the best visibility Feb to Mid April, however currents are strong then, and it's only really suitable for experienced divers.

Typically Whalesharks and Mantas don't go with clear water. If you want to see them, it's possible all year but best chances are August to early November, and February to mid April. The End of November to mid Jan, and the end of April to mid May are tough due to changes in weather and current movement.

Hi Alex

I think you just answered my question ...

After a very disappointing May trip to Socorro [in terms of manta activity] I'm looking at the Baa Atol, Maldives Aug 14th
In your expert opinion, do you think I would be disappointed and should look to go another time next year

My other option is St Johns, Egypt, that same week
As always, I'm time restricted due to work and can only get a week mid Aug

What would you do?

Thanks Layla

Typically Whalesharks and Mantas don't go with clear water. If you want to see them, it's possible all year but best chances are August to early November, and February to mid April.

Last edited:
I've just been reading about the restriction imposed in Hanivaru Lagoon

Hi Layla,

The restrictions will come into effect from January 2012...so this year you can dive. but not after that. I'm one of the people form the Maldives who lobbied for the protection of that bay. And i'm glad that it will be enforced from next year...sad that it won't be this year.

Cheers

Shaff

Thanks Shaff

I fully support the restriction to preserve the lagoon

I have read this, is it true ....

For the rest of this year, 2011, we are still allowed to dive in the lagoon but there are a number of Marine Park rules which must be obeyed.
The main rules are that there are to be no more than 5 boats allowed to enter the lagoon at any one time.

Entrance is via a dedicated channel and a place of anchor, divers will have to swim back and forth from the anchored boat into the lagoon, as the boats are not allowed to move into the lagoon for safety reasons, unless in an emergency.

Entry is on a first-come-first-served basis and if there are more than five boats wanting access, then boats are only allowed to stay for one hour, giving 45 minutes dive time.

To ease congestion, resort based clients are allowed access to the lagoon on even days of the month and safari boat based clients on odd days.

Hi Layla,

I have seen these new rules in a draft document, however when I left the Maldives a month ago it had not be signed into law yet. I will be back next week, but I am sure Shaff will know if it's confirmed or not yet.

The thing about Hanifaru is that it's a very small window of time each month when there is real action. From my observations over the last 3 years going regularly to the lagoon the action is most lickely the week around full moon, and the week around new moon each month from July to November. Even in those weeks it's only really within 3 hours or so of high tide that day. Even then there is obviously no guarantee.

However in august to November you can be guaranteed mantas as most weeks on the check dive you can see them only 25mins away from the airport at Lankan Manta Point. If you go to Baa and you can't be in the Lagoon there is a good chance to see them at the cleaning stations around Hanifaru, which will not be restricted by the new rules.

My main point is basically, don't worry about Hanifaru. In the lagoon the mantas are feeding, which means they are close to the surface anyway. Free diving / snorkeling actually gives a great encounter with them.

The reality is that some of the best encounters with Mantas are when they are cleaning, as they hover so gracefully, often just above you which is far more majestic. This can be experienced daily with an outgoing current most of the year in unrestricted dive sights around the Maldives.

Hanifaru is also not the only place that mantas feed, there are lagoons up and down the atolls of the Maldives where they come in to feed, there are even some that attract far more Whalesharks than Hanifaru.

So don't worry, find a boat, and they will certainly find you the Mantas :)

Cheers

Alex

Thanks Alex

I've just looked at your signature, now I know who you are :eek:)

I have booked my trip to the Maldives - Aug 28th to Sept 9th
I am actually in the middle of full moon Aug 29th and full moon Sept 12th

Your information is fantastic, thank you so much
I'm really looking forward to my trip now

How was the trip? Did you see mantas and whale sharks? Who did you dive with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom