Florida Ants!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had an encounter with scuba ants last night and it wasn't the first time. I'll get to last night's encounter in a minute. First, several years ago I went cave diving in Florida's cave country. At the time I was using double 95's and a wet suit. I still had my gauge consol with pressure gauge, computer, and compass attached to my first stage. As I suited up I saw some small ants wandering around my chest on the wet suit. I brushed them off but more kept coming back. Finally I located the source of the problem, ants were living/nesting in my gauge console. I dove for a 90 minute dive with a maximum depth of 110'. Upon surfacing ants were still coming out of the console. I had to disassemble the unit and flush it out totally before getting rid of the tiny biting beasts.
I hang all of my gear from a rack in the garage. These ants had to have crawled up the wall across the ceiling down the pipe holding my equipment rack, onto the hangers, down the first stage to the high pressure hose and into my console. They would have to have reversed the trip for food. I was impressed at how far the buggers had to go to make this nest.
Last night I was cleaning my garage and two of my booties were on the floor where they lay for about three weeks. I started to pick up one and out came a mob of big angry red ants. The bootie was plugged with grass clippings and other debris and the ants were fully nested inside the bootie. After spraying with bug killer I soaked the bootie in a bucket of water and flushed the critters out. Thousands of eggs and ants floated about in the bucket covering the water surface and crawling all over the bucket lip. Standing there in my flip flops wasn't prudent and so I left the bucket and bootie over night. This morning all was calm the invasion was over and bootie secured.
Has anyone else had the invasion of the ants in their scuba gear of is it just me?? A friend suggested that they were seeking moisture, perhaps but we have had a lot of rain the past week.

Try coffee grounds if you're looking for something prophylactic. If, like us, you don't drink coffee, we've had success getting them from the local Starbucks.

90 minutes at 110' those ants have the freedive record for sure.

Try coffee grounds if you're looking for something prophylactic. If, like us, you don't drink coffee, we've had success getting them from the local Starbucks.
Wait! What do you DO with the grounds? Are you using them to establish a perimeter and set up a protective zone? Sorta like a ring of garlic cloves to fend off the vampires???:coffee:

I dove for a 90 minute dive with a maximum depth of 110'. Upon surfacing ants were still coming out of the console.
That's the thing with red ants: they're breath-hold divers, so the NDLs don't apply. If you see any breathing compressed air, or, infrequently, nitrox, then you can bend them--their small size makes them more susceptible than us--just like Haldane's goats. The genius of this strategy is that most of them are diving without DAN insurance! Once bent, they face financial ruin and foreclosure, and will probably have to move out of the neighborhood.

We just dump them on the ant piles. And then, voila, they disappear... Perhaps it's to another spot in the yard, but it seems to coerce them into moving on.

If I were the OP, and I wanted to keep ants from wandering into my gear, I'd keep a small sachet of coffee grounds- maybe in some cheese cloth or other breathable material (panythose?) in with my gear. Nothing that would allow the grounds to float freely, but something that lets the volatile oils move about.
Minimal cost, and must be less detrimental than a chemical insecticide.

Here is a way you might be able to use to keep ants out of your gear; don't laugh - it really does work. We keep ants out of our dog food bowls by drawing a chalk line on the floor around the bowl; making the line fairly wide works best. The ants are not able to cross the line because the chalk prevents them from gaining traction - sort of like a person trying to walk on a floor covered with marbles. You can test this by drawing a chalk line around any ants you find on a wall or other verticle surface; when they try crossing the line they fall off the wall. Try it.
John Ploegert

I had an encounter with scuba ants last night and it wasn't the first time. I'll get to last night's encounter in a minute. First, several years ago I went cave diving in Florida's cave country. At the time I was using double 95's and a wet suit. I still had my gauge consol with pressure gauge, computer, and compass attached to my first stage. As I suited up I saw some small ants wandering around my chest on the wet suit. I brushed them off but more kept coming back. Finally I located the source of the problem, ants were living/nesting in my gauge console. I dove for a 90 minute dive with a maximum depth of 110'. Upon surfacing ants were still coming out of the console. I had to disassemble the unit and flush it out totally before getting rid of the tiny biting beasts.
I hang all of my gear from a rack in the garage. These ants had to have crawled up the wall across the ceiling down the pipe holding my equipment rack, onto the hangers, down the first stage to the high pressure hose and into my console. They would have to have reversed the trip for food. I was impressed at how far the buggers had to go to make this nest.
Last night I was cleaning my garage and two of my booties were on the floor where they lay for about three weeks. I started to pick up one and out came a mob of big angry red ants. The bootie was plugged with grass clippings and other debris and the ants were fully nested inside the bootie. After spraying with bug killer I soaked the bootie in a bucket of water and flushed the critters out. Thousands of eggs and ants floated about in the bucket covering the water surface and crawling all over the bucket lip. Standing there in my flip flops wasn't prudent and so I left the bucket and bootie over night. This morning all was calm the invasion was over and bootie secured.
Has anyone else had the invasion of the ants in their scuba gear of is it just me?? A friend suggested that they were seeking moisture, perhaps but we have had a lot of rain the past week.
My better half jimw came up from a dive and took off his bcd and there crawling around in it was ......ants! We had them in our garage and evidently some took up residence in jimw's bcd. We usually control them ourselves but, when the little bastards got into my coffeemaker that was it! :coffee: We called a professional to come and spray and bait the house, garage and yard. Turned out they are ghost ants. According to our "bug guy" ants can live underwater for 2 weeks! My question is were the ants they went to such depths with you "bent" :eyebrow: when they came up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom