SDI Open Water dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wfbjci

Reaction score
Any help us appreciated. I have recently finished the online SDI certification and pool sessions but i need to do open water dives. I am in in NYC and the only SDI dive shops do not provide transportation, as i do not have a car.

I assume you mean you have worked with an SDI shop for your pool sessions but cannot get to where they do the OW dives because you don't have transportation there. If you could get to the OW site, they would take care of you, right?

My first thought would be to ask the shop with which your worked for suggestions. I would think they would be more than willing to help you find a way.

My second thought would be to car pool with other students. I assume the dive shop would help with that.

My third thought would be to rent a car, assuming you have a driver's license and meet the age requirements.

My fourth thought is public transportation. When I was in college quite some time ago, I was home for the summer in the Catskill region of NY. My girlfriend got a summer job in Belmar, NJ, and lived a block from the beach. Not having a car, I took a bus. I am sure it can be done today.

My fifth thought is that if you are going on a vacation to a dive area, you can get a referral and have the OW dives done there.

Mu sixth thought is that if you scroll down on ScubaBoard a bit, you will find a regional travel and clubs section. Go to the NY one and see if you can find some help.

My seventh thought is that if none of my other thoughts work for you and you are completely unable to get to a dive location, then there really isn't any point in getting certified.

That's the barrier.

Overcome that barrier. Make it happen to get the certification. Either while in NY or if you plan on going on a vacation get the OW dives required to complete the course. There is the entire world where to do those dives and have fun at the same time.

Have fun and enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom