Average Gas Consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this is an open ended question and subject to many variables. I am a new diver and know my gas compsumption still needs improvement. I am diving mostly AA72's and am getting about 37 minutes on them with a max depth between 20 and 30 feet in about 53 degree water.

I talked to another more experienced diver today and he was saying he got 80 minutes on a al80 with about the same depths at the same location. I have not been in the water with this diver yet, but is this possible? It just seems like a long time. The reason why I ask, like I said I am a new diver and always looking for people to dive with, I have pretty bouyancy control but do not want to hold up experienced divers with my gas consumption as a new diver.

What are all you getting for time on a 80cf tank in cooler water.

Thanks

That person is real experienced.

Not a good comparison. If your new to diving? I would not be concerned about comparing as of yet. FYI Your air consumption is on the low side. However there are a lot issues.

• Comfort
  • Buoyancy
  • Cold tolerance
  • Dive profile(what are doing underwater)
  • Inflate / Deflate usage.

Dive often and have fun enjoy yourself. Start to compare at about 100 dives. Meanwhile as you dive enjoy it, practice as you desire.

Have fun with diving and enjoy! You'll improve in time. . .

I talked to another more experienced diver today and he was saying he got 80 minutes on a al80 with about the same depths at the same location. I have not been in the water with this diver yet, but is this possible?
Yes.

A lot of variables affect diver gas consumption. One thing that the experienced diver has going for him is that he's probably very relaxed in the water. With experience, you'll achieve that level of comfort, too.

For now, I wouldn't focus solely on improving your gas consumption. That's a big mistake that many novices make. It leads to skip-breathing and CO2 retention headaches. Instead, allow for your current level of consumption in your pre-dive planning (depth profile and gas management). Strive to be more efficient while expending energy underwater. Do a lot of dives...and have fun!

I just do not want to plan to do a dive with someone who will be disappointed by the bottom time my 72's allow me.

I am diving dry so I also use a little gas for my squeeze, but am fairly tollerant of it.

Any experienced diver would understand that, as a newer diver, your gas consumption rate will be naturally higher.
Most of us have gone through that stage. Just be up-front about it with your buddy.

Two other options for you include:
  1. Diving with other folks who have a similar gas consumption rate.
  2. Using a larger capacity tank.

FWIW, I've found that the added comfort I get from diving dry more than makes up for any gas that is used to offset squeeze. Since transitioning to a drysuit, I found that my gas consumption rate has actually improved. YMMV.

I can only speak for myself, but I know that, when I go out with a new diver, the dive will be short and generally need to stay shallow. It's perfectly okay -- it means I won't get cold :) I may even get two dives with my new buddy out of a single tank, which is not a bad thing, either.

I think the only time somebody would be upset would be if it were a situation where they had done a long drive, paid an entry fee or a boat charter fee, and were surprised with a novice buddy in a small tank. Otherwise, as long as one knows in advance, it's generally not an issue.

I'm not an air hog but, I use more air than some of my regular buddies so we switch around tanks so I get the bigger one or someone comes up with more unused air than they like. And as TSandM said it's no big deal unless it's a supprise.

I do, on occation, dive with newish divers and surface with extra air in the bottle. Downside is a shorter dive and the upside is I get to be a role model.

I enjoy all the time I spend under water and if each dive is short I just bring more tanks.

Bob
--------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

There is no average, but there are a few facts that can help you resolve your question:
1. As divers improve their skills and comfort levels, their air consumption decreases.
2. Women generally use less air then men.
3. Lung capacity is a big variable- and it varies alot between individuals.
4. Everyone can do a few things to reduce air consumption, including the following:
Be properly weighted. This is a big deal on air consumption
Move less. Move slowly and deliberately. Look at things, don't race past them
Maintain neutral buoyancy with your bcd. Kicking and hand finning are movements that consume air
If you are in a group and are using air quicker than everyone else, stay a couple of meters above them- it makes a difference.

Know that with experience comes better buoyancy control, greater comfort, and familiarity with the underwater environment, and from each and all of these, less rapid air consumption. Go dive, often, and you will prove me true.
DivemasterDennis

Just finished a deep course with a student (<30 logged dives). He had a clever computer, so we made note of air consumptions:

10 lpm resting/safety stop
16 lpm relaxed finning
27 lpm moderate finning

Mine was about 25% better than that. We did a training dive in 10-12m depth and he easily managed 60 mins. I still had 100 bar at that time... so yes, the numbers mentioned by the OP are quiet achieveable - given time, experience and pro-active approach to refining your skills and techniques.

You are diving cold water (not unlike here during the winter). Your air consumption will be higher given that. 37 min on an Al 80 is not bad for someone knew to the sport, and as others have posted your air consumption will undoubtedly improve as you become more comfortable underwater. Just enjoy your new sport and don't worry too much about gas consumption early on.

For comparison my last dive with an Al 80 was 75 min at an average depth of 25 ft, but in warmer (64 F min) water. A week ago I was only getting 50-60 min on such dives, but finally decided to replace my leaking inflator hose and Air-2 which made a big difference!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom