Thinking about moving to the PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I have talked about moving to the Pacific NW, how is the diving in your area? After spending some time in the Caribbean and wondering if Florida might be a better choice.

Landlocked, the diving in our area is fantastic! Check out THIS long thread, or THIS video, to get an idea of what we see.

The water IS cold, and with cold comes heavy exposure protection and heavy gear, but it is worth it (and this is said by someone who swore she would never set FOOT in Puget Sound, because it was too blasted cold). Cold water holds more oxygen and supports more life, believe it or not -- but you won't see brilliant, clear blue water where we are, and you WILL learn to love your hood :)

This is also a great place for general outdoorsy people, with sailing, hiking, fishing, camping . . . almost anything you can think of that you do outdoors, you can do in this area. There's no wonder why REI came into existence here!

Hi Landlocked,

I moved from the PNW to Colorado last year for school and work reasons. I love Colorado, but boy do I miss the diving back home. I'm desiccating here! Like Lynne says, diving in the PNW is awesome -- but you gotta deal with the cold water.

A couple suggestions... Get some experience drysuit diving, then come out to Puget Sound for a diving holiday (and also explore the area). That may help you decide. Also, I think you'll find that the best diving is in Puget Sound and northward to British Columbia. Oregonians, for instance, often drive up there to get their diving 'fix'. The point being that some areas in the NW are better for diving than others.

Amen to that Lynne! There's SO much to do in here, and the dream destination for all those who love the outdoors!

Florida has warm water, great visibility, caves, freshwater springs, many purpose-sunk ships to swim around, coral reefs, and colorful tropical fish. We have cold water, challenging visibility, screaming currents, and a real sense of wildness and adventure. Also abundant coffee, good microbrews, and decent wine. I enjoy the fact that I can be kickstepping through the snow up a mountain, kayaking down a river, sailing among the islands, and diving with giant octopus in the same week. My retirement check can be sent anywhere, but I choose to live here.
-Curt

Diving while reported to be awesome here is something I'll never know. Unlike Lynne I fully intend to never, ever set foot in this ice locker. Thank God for planes flying south. The other thing you have to contend with is the weather. If cold, grey, overcast, misty, summer doesn't show up to July 5th and over at Labor day is your cup of tea, well welcome to the Great Pacific Northwet, yes NorthWET. And the pro sports teams will break your heart, all the time. I'm just being honest. Some people can not handle the weather (or the Seahawks) because if you let it, it can get depressing. Looking past all that the fishing, hunting, skiing,hiking,photography,food and
people rock, but all in the rain. I love it up here. There is nothing more beautiful than a clear summer day in PNW. Seeing Mt. Ranier one way and Mt Baker the other is beautiful. Waking in the morning and watching my horses run in the pastures with the Cascades in the background as I sip my coffee, what's not to love, except 50 degree water.

You can live with the weather -- with the cool, and the gray, and the damp. You can live with the short days in winter. You can live with cold water, and limited viz, and tides that make great weather weekends horrible diving days. But if you need a winning sports team, live elsewhere. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom