Moustache Seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

windapp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I always leak a little water into my nose piece because of my Moustache, and if I don't clear it immediately before I go inverted, I always get water up my nose. Any suggestions on how to seal this better?

Shave just a little bit under your nose. This seems to work for a lot of guys and shouldn't be noticeable.

As a fellow 'stache dude, I feel for you. I had the same problem when I first started diving...

I tried all kinds of gloop on the mustache to make a good seal: sunscreen, lip wax, silicone gel, you name it. You could try Vaseline or something, but none of if it worked for me. I tried a "mustache mask", a dive mask with a silicone skirt cut so that it was supposed to seal better. It sorta worked. Sometimes.

After half a dozen masks I finally found one that seals well against my mustache. What a relief.

(Why are there no smilies with 'staches?)

Windapp, i have quite the "Lady Pleasa":wink: moustache and although i get a lot of leakage into my mask i find that i exhale a lot thru my nose while diving , probably more than thru my regulator, i dont exhale this way with a purpose that i know of but maybe its just a natural reaction to getting water in my mask. It works, gets rid of snot,water,never had mask sgueez. If for some reason i get a little more than is comphy i just clear by pushing on the top of mask while tilting head back and exhaling. Or if its real bad i take mask off ,shake the water out and put it back on and clear ,problem solved.

I have only dove with one mask since I have had a mustache, but I do have to shave a little bit of hair right under my nose to get a good seal, otherwise I leak. It doesn't take much, maybe a couple 16th's. It also helps define the stache, makes it look like your nose hair isnt growing right into your mustache.

Abraham Lincoln mustache is what I found work best for diving...:D

I keep my mustache short. I have tried Vaseline and that helps to seal the mask, however normally I just live with the inconvenience of having to clear the mask a bit more often than others may do, when water begins to build up then I exhale through my nose, that works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom