Diving the mighty O - what's needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in Pensacola and so we have charters going almost daily to the Oriskany. I would like to do more than dive the super structure but I lack the knowledge/skills/equipment.

Now it maybe (probably is) a foolish endeavor to pursue the training just for one dive but acknowledging that, I wanted to get an idea of what was needed so I could consider if working towards that goal would be worthwhile.

For those who don’t know-and I suspect that would be no-one in this group; the flight deck is about 140 feet, hanger deck about 150ish and bottom at about 212 (So I heard-can’t go down there)

I would like to be able to check out the entire wreck-go to the bottom, and eventually go into the flight deck.

My experience right now-average diver certified in early 1990’s, I have a rescue card, Nitrox, solo and have been diving in these waters most of that time. I dive a BP/W with a pony but I am definitely not a tech diver in any way.
So I guess I have basically 3 questions.

1. Equipment wise-what is needed? Doubles, big lights, long hose?
2. Certification wise-what is needed to do this from where I am right now?
3. Is it even worth it? Very subjective question but if all that is down there is a big empty whole on the flight deck and lots of sand with no life on the bottom then I would guess I am wasting my time-also, would there be other interesting wrecks at the depths I would then be able to go after preparing for this dive?

OK-So I can’t count. I think that was 4 questions.

Sorry.

0. Don't limit yourself to the Oriskany, there are alot of good dives on the slightly deeper side off Pensacola(and elsewhere in the panhandle).

1. Doubles of some sort, big lights and backups, long hose is helpfull(especially if you have a buddy!), neklaced reg, proper exposure protection, redundant lift, SMB/bag, reels, deco bottles. blah blah blah blah - the whole nine yards.

2. Normoxic Trimix(Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures will be prerequisites) and a real Wreck class, or a Cavern class... at a minimum - IMO

3. For just the O? Subjective... There's more in the area though... and overall it will likely make you a better diver in all aspects. So, IMO, yes.

Reactions: Jax
you can do it on air, but trimix would be a smart choice, advanced nitrox and deco would be a must for those depths.

The best suggestion I have for you is to go to one of the LDS' MBT divers comes to mind since they are the shop that I always deal with when I'm in the Pensacola area and dive. Go to one of the LDS' tell them your experience, your gear, and your goals for diving the Mighty O and ask them your questions and express your concerns. They can give you the best guidance and answer your questions the best, and can help you pick out any new gear you might want to get or if you're qualified sign you up for a more advanced class to help you learn the skills to make the dive safer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom