A Potential Case For Wrist Mounted Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkyAndSea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi ScubaBoard,

I'm a newbie diver, having recently completed Open Water, and doing Advanced Open Water this coming weekend.

I've been knocking back and forth the comparisons for console and wrist mount computer. A potential case for wrist mounted just ran across my mind, and I'm interested to know if its a valid comparison. Alternatively, maybe this situation is a non-issue with console computers altogether and isn't really worth comparing.

The scenario I'm thinking of is the out of air emergency. I give my octo to the distressed diver, get into a right handed Roman handshake and we start ascending with my left hand ready on my deflator button and above my head. Now, If i have a console computer i'm not in a position to easily monitor the ascent (because I have no free hands) and the OOA diver may be too distressed to provide depth/ascent rate information (their arms will be busy anyway doing the same thing). However, If i had my computer mounted on my left wrist I could monitor it easily with my raised left arm.

Had I had a console computer I just don't see an easy way to monitor that ascent. Also, my air supply permitting, we could still make a safety stop, and being newbie divers - probably will need to aggressively monitor our depth at the stop to keep from popping up or sinking.

Everything just seems easier with the wrist mount. I'd love to hear some feedback on this.

Reactions: Jax
Don't confuse a watch strap mounted dive computer with a true wrist mounted bungee system. I have seen a lot of watch strap computers disappear during a dive because the wrist strap buckles are not though out very well. A bungee setup like the ones sold by DeepSea Supply will not fall off when your not looking.

Otherwise there are a lot of divers with extensive experience that will vote for the wrist mounted over the console mounted.

One advantage to a console is that it will always be on you when you done your gear. One can always forget to strap on a wrist mounted computer by accident.

Your point is valid. This is the same issue when you are carrying a camera, light, anything. I dive with a console but it is my backup information. My usable info is on my wrist where it can be seen.

I think you might be over-thinking the ascent.
In the situation you describe, I'm more likely to be focused on making sure the distressed, possibly panicy, OOA diver is not going to kill us both than on a gauge.
Once your buddy is OOA and on your octo, the ascent is simple. You control your rate and don't go up faster than your smallest bubbles. Sometimes you don't need to rely on tech. :)

I dive with a wrist mounted primary and a console mounted backup.

One advantage to a console is that it will always be on you when you done your gear. One can always forget to strap on a wrist mounted computer by accident.

Cant say the same thing about some peoples heads :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom