fins, fins so many fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idoair

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been diving since 2009 and have been using split fins. Our dive shop closed and we went to another shop for a rescue diver course and the instructor was really down on split fins. Since these are all I know. Are there any suggestions:depressed:

If that is what you are used to and prefer ask the instructor why and if the answer is not to your liking look for another class.

I agree with EastEndDiver, but if for some reason you can't go to another shop (or don't want to), find out if they'll let you try out different fins during the course. If they say no and insist you do the course in non-splits, I'd go elsewhere. FWIW, I use Mares Avanti Quattros.

I've been ...using split fins. ... the instructor was really down on split fins. Since these are all I know. Are there any suggestions...

Take the rescue course, use your split fins. If the instructor seems down, you might suggest Prozac for the little fella.

Why would it matter if the instructor was down on split fins? He wont let you take the course because he doesnt like them? Did he give you a reason?

That just sounds lame. Splt or not they do the same thing. Use what you like. I have tried both and notice little difference between them. My dive buddy swears by split fins. Neither of us are right... because its just preference.

Split fins tend to buckle under a heavy load when you are kicking hard. This is not a problem for people with minimal leg strength, but it's a PIB for us with an overabundance. I used Jets for a long, long time because when I kick hard, the water moves: not the fin. Last year, I tried a pair of Hollis' Bat Fins (FS1???) and simply loved them. They even hold up under a full load pulling a tired diver in real life. Split fins are fine and are great for the recreational diver. Those who want to be available to help others should be sure that they are appropriate for their kick style while pulling a load. The only way to know is to try it out.

Agree with the above posts. IF the instructor being "down on splits" bothers you -find another instructor. I've tried over 20 types of fins. I keep coming back to splits as my first choice. My fav fins are:

Scuba Pro Twin jets and Apollo Biofins Pros (black only not the XTs) are tied for first place.
Scuba Pro jet fins - second (though all three are great).

Split fins "tend to buckle under a heavy load when you are kicking hard" is complete BS. A myth. It is a matter of kick method. Kicking hard and wide may feel real good with a stiff fin, like the exhaust sound in a Harley. The reality is that if a split fin is kicked with a flutter kick in the slipstream of the body it will perform well without fatigue.

We actually produce a bio-fin XT model, noticeably stiffer than our original bio-fin pro, so that those who like to feel resistance, and all that can have it. Interestingly enough our military sales are always the original bio-fin pro.

The real deal guys don't care about brand names or whatever kick is the kick of the week. They are seeking the best performance with the least resistance.

Of course this fin thread will continue with the usual perps posting.

All we know is that DOD continues to purchase and I do not think that they are monitoring SB-they are just taking care of those who take care of us.

It's what you like,and what you're used to :idk:

I like Mares Avanti Quattro's, it's like the instructor looking at me and saying "I don't like those"! Tough darts it's what you use! IF he doesn't like it, then look for another instructor...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom