Coins used as weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dimac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

I dive using <10 lbs of weight and I'm experimenting with my weight placements for better trim. I'm thinking of trying out putting 2 half pounders on my upper back but the LDS doesn't have 0.5lb weights. I tried sourcing lead washers and shot but it may take a while to get here and I'm diving tomorrow.

Will there be an issue if I used coins as a substitute?

they may work very well, I hope you report back one way or another. Are you going to place them in some type of bag? I have no idea how much coins weigh where you live, but I would imagine if you got a kitchen scale you could weigh out 0.5 lbs increments. If you have the pocket style cam band weight holders it should work out just fine. Only other thought would be to try fishing weights if they are available to you.

Good luck!

Michael

Actually I went ahead and started weighing them. 80pcs of 1 peso coins were around ~ 1 pound. And I also came to the REALIZATION that 1# of lead (~US$4) is more expensive than 1# in coins (~$2). I'm currently looking at the DIY section and will probably use the mesh bags just to keep them grouped together. Will then place them in my surelocks and rear weight pockets in my Seaquest Balance.

Why didn't I just use the coins in my piggy bank as weight instead of spending it on the more expensive lead weights? I will never know :shakehead:

Lead automotive wheel weights?

Otherwise, yes, sure, coins will work. Lead is similar in mass to gold, so it should be easy.

8oz fishing sinker cost about one dollar us. take it home and flatten it with a hammer. You could even tie a cord to it for easy retrieval.

8 and 16 oz fishing are the easiest thing to use for small weights.

An issue with coins is their specific gravity. The metals in the Philippine Peso (steel, copper, nickel) have specific gravities around 8 or 9 and lead's is around 11. This means you'd need more weight of coins (~30%?) to get as much negative buoyancy.

get a solid 1lb and cut it into .25's then take a hammer and shape em however....I actually did this and added em to the shoulder straps of my trans pac and it trims out very nice

Gold coins would work very well. If you should find yourself grossly over-weighted, I would be willing to relieve you of any excess weight. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom