PADI - Rescue diver course - How many days ? how many dives ? how many chapters ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All ,

I'm considering doing the rescue diver course , but I need to know some information about the course that are not present on the PADI website

I know that EFR takes min one day .

1- What is the minimum number of days required for the course ?
2- How many dives / skills are there in the course ? and how long does each take (2 dives/skill per day ?) ?
3- How many chapters are available in the book?

Thank you
Nomro

There are 5 chapters in the book. My course took 2 evenings for administration/knowledge reviews which we all completed prior to class and 2 full days for in-water/near-water scenarios.

Number of dives is a hard question. While you do spend some time under water, the rescue class is not really about diving so much. Most of the time is spent at the surface. My computer tells me there were more than 10 dives but they were all so short I decided to make 2 entries in my log- Rescue Day 1 and Day 2

The course consists of three basic elements:

Five knowledge development sections
Rescue Exercises
Self Rescue
10 Rescue Exercises​
Two Rescue Scenarios

The rescue exercises and rescue scenarios must be held over at least two days. The rescue exercises may be conducted in confined water. The rescue scenarios must be conducted in open water.

The recommended hours are 25.

We typically conduct the Rescue Course with 4 nights of class and pool and a day out in open water. Of course, students have a fair amount of self-study work to do, including preparing an Emergency Assistance Plan. In addition to knowledge reviews, there is an exam.

Bill

I think some of what you are asking may be instructor, shop, and agency dependent. I would speak with the instructor you have chosen to see exactly how they intend to put the core requirements into action.

My rescue course will take three days, and this is after I have read the course manual and done the exercises in it. We are going to be wet for most of the three days. I could have completed all of the required water skills in a quarry, but I made a choice to do two of my dives in the open ocean as this is my native dive environment and I wanted to practice those skills in current, at depth, and with critters around.

I have to take Professional Rescuer EFR and found a great option through the Red Cross which allows me to do content online and then a practicum for 2 hours. I am lapsed, so this is the full course, not a review. I am not sure if there are options like this for laypeople, but you should look at the Red Cross menu if you think this type of EFR course would suit you best.

I am excited about taking this course, and I hope you are too. I was supposed to take it nearly two years ago, but life got in the way. I feel that it is a must now that I am starting to be the more experienced diver of a buddy pair. In addition, there have been 4 dive accidents this summer already (at least two were fatal, not sure about the others) in the Morehead area, and I want to be trained to assist to the extent possible. Many of the instructors are talking about the need to include an ocean component for divers who intend to dive in one. In my case, we are putting that in on our own. Good luck.

The course consists of three basic elements:

Five knowledge development sections
Rescue Exercises
Self Rescue
10 Rescue Exercises​
Two Rescue Scenarios

The rescue exercises and rescue scenarios must be held over at least two days. The rescue exercises may be conducted in confined water. The rescue scenarios must be conducted in open water.

The recommended hours are 25.

We typically conduct the Rescue Course with 4 nights of class and pool and a day out in open water. Of course, students have a fair amount of self-study work to do, including preparing an Emergency Assistance Plan. In addition to knowledge reviews, there is an exam.

Bill

Sounds a lot like the course I took: Classroom time, Self-rescue, 10 skills (more than one skill per dive) and a couple of rescue scenarios and we had to create an EAP for one of the dives sites we were planning to dive in the class. We did all the excercises in open water over a 2 day period at different dive sites. Those days were *very* long and more than one person had to repeat certain skills.

I highly recommend this class for your dive buddy. It's abolutely the best PADI class that your buddy could take.

Back
Top Bottom