Travelling with Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

windapp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anybody have experience carrying on regulators? Is this an OK thing or do they have to be in your checked baggage?

I always travel with my regulator and computer in my carry-on, never had an issue.

I always travel with my regulator and computer in my carry-on, never had an issue.

Same here, never a problem.

I always carry on my regs as well. When by themselves they generally don't get questioned, but when I pack it in the carry on bag with the camera, case, and other electronic goodies, it is often scanned again or hand searched. Not a big deal, slows down the security process by a minute or so. As expected, when going through security at a dive destination that usually don't look twice, but at my home airport it is much more likely to be looked at. Again, not a problem, I feel much better that way.

I always carry-on my regulators and always get stopped at the x-ray machines by TSA. I explain I'm scuba diver, TSA opens the bag to inspect the regulators, and let me board the plane.:)

I always carry my regulator as my allowable additional carry-on item. The regulator bag is large enough for me to include my wrist dive computer and my point-and-shoot camera (w/o underwater housing)

always carry it. Half the time they'll ask me "is this a diving reg?" or " you a diver?" then they don't look through the reg bag. One time I forgot I had my dive knife in my reg bag and didn't realize til I got to Hawaii. Glad TSA didn't see it. :) I guess they were too busy looking at the hoses and didn't see the 4 1/2" blade.:crafty:

Always carry has hand luggage. It's quite a weight saving, nearly 10 Kgs for me (depending on how many regs I take).

I've even taken my Backplate on as hand luggage, which was no problem, however my nail scissors were confiscated on the same flight??!!!! :confused:

You could probably get fins on a hand luggage as well, just have them strapped to the outside of your bag. People pay very little attention to extras on the bag, only if you try to walk on with a massive rucksack. Or maybe in a mesh bag, I'm sure few airlines wouldn't bat an eyelid. I normally have my regs in their bag inside my my daysack. After I go through X-ray I carry them seperately to save my back, again no-one really cares once you're on the plane.

Last edited:
Carry on the regulators, computer/BT, primary mask and can light. Only thing that's been an issue has been the can light battery. Makes the X-ray screeners go "WTF?" and they visually inspect. Then everything's cool.

Back
Top Bottom