Beginning Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For you experienced folks;

What would you recommend as prerequisites to pursuing wreck diving?

What skills, previous training? I'm guessing AN/DP . . . would you include trimix?

Taking wreck classes with a particular agency?

Recommendations for instructor(s)?

thanks!

From my article: Advanced Wreck Diving - Workshop Notes

Required Diving Skills
Recreational wreck divers should possess the following competencies before penetrating wrecks:

• Buoyancy Control. Ability to maintain +/- 50cm of target depth, whilst otherwise task loaded
  • Trim. Ability to maintain flat horizontal trim, with slightly head-down positioning.
  • Propulsion. Ability to utilize non-silting fin techniques, including frog kick and modified flutter kick.
  • Control. Ability to demonstrate positioning control without reliance on hands. Efficient use of helicopter turns and back kicks for maneuverability within confined spaces.
  • Streamlining. Divers’ equipment demonstrates effective streamlining, efficiency and adequate redundancy, with no obvious entanglement hazards and minimum failure points.
  • Gas Management. Ability to accurately plan and manage gas requirements for the planned dive, including contingency reserves.
  • Dive Planning. Ability to precisely plan a no-decompression dive, conduct effective risk assessment and confirm effective contingency/emergency plans prior to water entry.
  • Navigation. Ability to effectively navigate back to the start point, using compass and natural navigation techniques.
  • Buddy/Team Skills. Ability to plan dives and follow those plans in a coordinated way with a diving buddy/team, including the ability to conduct effective emergency drills. Buddy diving.
  • Situational Awareness. Ability to maintain awareness of depth, time, no-decompression limit, surroundings, navigational location and buddy/team, whilst otherwise task loaded with specific skills.

I think those requirements are necessary for any penetration activities, recreational or technical.

In addition, for penetration/overhead environment diving, the ability to effectively lay & follow guidelines needs to be ingrained in muscle memory. This demands more training than given in the solitary penetration dive on a recreational wreck course. I typically find that 6+ training dives in line-laying/penetration are needed to get the average diver to a level of acceptable fluidity with line laying/following.

Where the diver intends to operate beyond the 'light zone', past restrictions or at depths where narcosis may be present (END 30/100ft), then the emphasis changes from recreational to technical level diving.

These are the limits I recommend with recreational wreck penetration:

Recreational Wreck Diving Limits
Recreational wreck divers should observe the following limits to penetration of wrecks:

• One continuous guideline
  • No restrictions*
  • No decompression
  • 30m max depth
  • No complex dives, including jump lines, gap lines or permanent lines
  • Rule of thirds air management on single/double tanks
  • Max linear distance to surface (horizontal plus vertical) is 40m/120ft
  • Within the ‘light zone’, where natural light penetrates and illuminates
  • Ability to clearly see the exit at all times
  • No severe risk of silt out
*A restriction is defined as a space too small for 2 divers to pass through simultaneously whilst sharing air.

Technical wreck diving demands the need to operate manifolded/isolated doubles, the ability to plan/conduct decompression and the training necessary to perform a collection of guideline drills in low/zero visibility (lost line, entanglement, lost buddy, broken line etc). In that respect, the diver should ideally have completed AN-DP-ER & Advanced/Technical Wreck training.

The requirement for trimix depends entirely upon the depth range of the wreck/s that will be dived. I think an END of 30m/100ft is ideal, but this is ultimately dictated by the divers' comfort levels, tolerance and experience.

Recommended instructors are usually those in residence, onsite/on-location, and diving daily on the wrecks which interest you the most.

My interests are WWII wrecks in the SE Asia/Oceania region; and the best "controlled training" area to learn how to dive these particular shipwrecks is at Subic Bay Philippines. Has everything from a widebody jetliner fuselage at a shallow 6m (great for initial Team building, wreck penetration & contingency exercises); the El Capitan Freighter 9-21m deep and primary trainer wreck; to the labyrinth of the capsized USS New York's engine room at 28m; the long passageways of the LST Wreck at 32m; and then the deep wreck of the Sakura Maru at 54m to practice trimix/deco diving. Good civilian/metropolitan infrastructure all inside the old US Navy Base at Subic Bay, which the Philippine Gov't appears to be keeping-up and developing fairly well . . .for nearly 50 Philippine Pesos to the US Dollar, this place is a bargain (and everybody speaks and understands English as well)!.

If this is the type of wreck diving you seek, I would recommend Andy above; Sam Collett at Techasia; Tom Morato at UTD; George Any de Pay at Boardwalk Dive Center.

Reactions: Jax
For you experienced folks;

What would you recommend as prerequisites to pursuing wreck diving?...//......

A love of history.

Jax,

It is all about where you want to wreck dive and why you want to wreck dive.

I can only speak for the NE Atlantic. It doesn't take much. Recreational gear and a scopolomine patch will go far. PM me if you want a suggestion as to NY or NJ dive clubs. Wreck diving is a lot about who you dive with rather than who trained you.

Speaking from my own experience, I love the local history. I'm looking at a 35 amp fuse block I recovered from the Tolten ~100'. It is an insignificant artifact by anyone's standards, but it is everything to me as it keeps the wreck alive. Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - dive Wreck Valley - Dive Sites - Tolten Shipwreck

Quoting from njscuba.net (with my apologies, I know he has issues with SB):

"While the Tolten was discharging her cargo of nitrate at Baltimore, Maryland, Captain Aquiles Ramirez received a communique from the Chilean government in which he was instructed to abide by all U.S. Navy regulations. The Navy Patrol Service in Baltimore warned him that for the last leg of his passage to New York he should maintain blackout conditions aboard his ship. That meant proceeding without showing navigation lights at night, having all portholes blanked, turning off corridor lights before opening outside doors, and not smoking on deck.

At first Captain Ramirez failed to comply. The Tolten proceeded to New York in ballast, and fully lighted. Around midnight on March 12, the freighter was hailed by a patrol boat and was told in no uncertain terms to switch off her lights in accordance with previously issued instructions. This time the captain complied.

Shortly after the captain ordered the lights switched off - between two A.M. and four A.M. - a torpedo struck the Chilean freighter a devastating blow. According to the only survivor, electrician Julio Faust, the freighter went down in less than six minutes and before any lifeboats could be launched. Faust was thrown clear, swam to a loose life raft, clambered aboard, and passed out. Twelve hours later a Coast Guard patrol boat pick him up, "suffering from exposure, shock, and bruises." He was taken to the marine hospital at Stapleton, on Staten Island, where he was treated. Faust recovered from his ordeal. Nothing was ever seen of the other twenty-seven crew members."

-I'm pretty sure that Julio Faust knew exactly what circuitry my little piece of ceramic and brass energized. And it sits in front of me IRL...

I can only speak for the NE Atlantic. It doesn't take much. Recreational gear and a scopolomine patch will go far. PM me if you want a suggestion as to NY or NJ dive clubs. Wreck diving is a lot about who you dive with rather than who trained you.

Yes. Diving with enthusiastic and experienced wreck divers goes much further than a class. Well said.

I'm not terribly sure but I would imagine skills of a cave diver with some extra mentoring from experienced wreck divers would make you sexy. I'm not sexy though D:

Reactions: Jax
I'm not terribly sure but I would imagine skills of a cave diver with some extra mentoring from experienced wreck divers would make you [-]sexy[/-]. I'm not sexy though D:

:thumb: I agree completely!

I seem to recall horror stories of tards not running lines and getting lost and barely making it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom