Looking for the Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MISFIT DIVER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to see if anyone has any links or info on diving the Republic off the coats of Massachusetts. I believe it is in the same vicinity as the Doria bit I cannot seem to find info. Not sure if it is true or not but have heard that it is in better shape than the Doria. Trying to set a deep wreck goal with one of these dives. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Spec, cool web site. Appreciate your help

I believe that Bill Cleary still has the admirality claim to that, although it may have expired. He and Christina Young would be good resources.

For legal status of this wreck, visit:

http://rms-republic.com/legal/

The only active claim on this vessel has always remained within the US District Court, in Boston, Massachusetts. The claim was filed twenty years ago, and many interlopers now lie by the wayside. The US Government also has filed a claim on the vessel within the above action, claiming ownership of all gold aboard the vessel.

The wreck is not in better shape than the Doria - in fact it is in very poor shape resulting from extensive salvage in search of the gold. It is also a more difficult dive being deeper and in a very active shipping lane.

The reason there is so little diving information on it is because very few people have been there. It is somewhat sticky with respect to disputes over the salvage claim and need for confidentiality regarding the details of the site.

I dived the Republic a few years ago once in rapidly deteriorating conditions. Its a very interesting wreck and if things were that simple, I would chose it 9 times out of 10 over the Doria. But things are rarely that simple. I would suggest contacting Martin Bayerle if you are truly interested in learning more about the wreck. He made the last post here and the RMS Republic site, along with the salvage rights, belong to him.

Regards,
Capt. Heather Knowles
Northern Atlantic Dive Expeditions, Inc.
http://www.northernatlanticdive.com

What position is she sitting in now? And I read two different depths, which one would be correct? One would think that just the private property left onboard, would be a sizable haul, by the list of passengers. Intriging to say the least.

The wreck is upright and the upper structure has been peeled away, now makes up a debris field off the wreck. The depth is about 240-250' to the sand but there are washouts that hit 270'. We reached the top of the wreck in 220'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom