getting rid of moldy gear smell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got back from a trip where I was using mask/snorkel, fins, booties and gloves everyday for about 10 days. I rinsed them each day afterward. I just got back home and they all smell moldy and so does the suit case I brought them home in. Anyone have any advice for how to clean them and the smell away?

Thanks.

The smell usually goes a way after a few days of drying. If that doesn't work, you can try Sink the Stink or other gear deodorizers

McNett also sells mirazyme, specifically for odor control. Works well if you follow the directions.

Not affiliated with them, just know and have used the product.

-Bryan

Reactions: Jax
+1 for Mirazyme. I've also successfully used it on the carpets of my wife's car.

How about watered down vinegar? It won't hurt the rubber or discolor the fabric, and it will kill the li'l critters.

Then again, in Pennsylvania Dutch country, everything goes well with a little vinegar.

First try to soak them in warm water and dryd them out properly in a vented cool dry area. They need to be none dry! If that did not do the trick use some of the soaps mentioned. Generally speaking it is the drying process that cause the mold smell.

A little bit of Woolite works as well....

+1 for the Woolite. I have a front load washer and I put my wetsuit in there on gentle with a little woolite and it takes the smell out great. I hand wash my boots with it too. I let my wetsuit dry on a hanger and I set my boots in front of a fan on high. The smell goes away.

Back
Top Bottom