Trouble clearing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have gone on several dives where I attach a GoPro to my head and then put the mask over it to keep the GoPro headstrap from coming off. I did a dive last week where I could not clear my mask. I had a small amount of water in it almost the entire dive. I'm guessing this might have had something to do with the GoPro strap breaking the seal? I tried tightening the strap underwater, though that did not seem to help. What do you do when you are unable to clear your mask regardless of the cause? I just dealt with it, though it was a bit uncomfortable.

Thanks.

Almost anything under the mask skirt will cause it to leak, be it a strap, hood, hair, moustachio. Tightening a mask strap too tight will cause it to leak worse. You can either deal with the water in the mask, or find another way to secure the camera strap, so that it will not interfere with the mask.

I've had a couple of dives where my mask was leaking, and I couldn't seem to make it stop. I cleared constantly. It was an annoyance. It never occurred to me that I could take the whole darned thing OFF and replace it, and see if I could fix whatever the problem was that way. I don't know if that would work with a GoPro attached, but it's a thought.

I regularly get a little water in my mask (typically just half the nose pocket) due to facial hair and/or smiling. It took a few dives to get used to, but now it doesn't both me. On dives where I might be working (camera, students, etc), I might opt for a mask with a nose purge so it's even easier to clear if needed.

The GoPro most likely is the problem. But you might also look at how well the mask conforms to your face. Also, if there are any tears or nicks in the skirt of the mask, it will leak.

I don't even like hanging a snorkel off of my mask. I suggest you find a new point to secure your gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom