First dives after lasik eye surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HattDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just had it done three weeks ago and in two weeks, I'll be going out on my first dives with the new eyes. My old prescription plate mask goes into retirement and I have a nice new mask all ready to go. Just wondered if anybody had any issues with your eyes after the surgery on dives? I'll be diving off Hatteras Island and a couple of the wrecks are in the 150-160 foot range. Anything I need to know or do? I mean besides, remembering the Systane Ultra?

I guess I should have searched the archives, but new on here, having just signed up on here today.

I have had Lasik, twice, and not an issue at all. I dove shortly after the surgeries and do hundreds of dives each year since, with nary an issue! Go forth and have fun.

just check with your doc. I think they say to wait a month after surgery.

HattDiver -

I went in for the surgery just before turning pro (seven years ago) and it worked out great. Took a month off from diving. Had no in-water issues on resuming diving, and my newly restored 20-20 vision has only faded a bit over the years.

Granted, my near vision is no longer what it used to be, but that's less of an issue underwater (gauges look bigger).

-Bryan

I waited two months after mine just to add a little margin. The risk is infection if the corneal flap hasn't fully healed over. But you should be getting a one month post op exam and they will tell you if there are any abnormalities.

Had Lasik 9 1/2 years ago and never looked back. Ditched my corrective lens mask immediately. I remain happy with the result.

Best, Craig

Id ask my eye doc given that each case and every eye is a bit diffferent.

Thanks everybody. I have a the post month checkup two days before I go down. The one week checkup went fine and he said three weeks of no diving, so I'll have two weeks safety margin. Depending on the checkup, of course. Thanks again!

My surgery ('05) was done about 3 weeks before I took OW. Kept my eyes closed in the pool during no-mask skills. No issues at all. But I still require reading glasses (being that old), meaning I must highlight a spot on my SPG. When I was nearsighted and snorkelling the mask (refraction) gave me pretty much perfect vision under water, though I needed glasses topside. Ironic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom