Rigging your dive buddies gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When you are diving with a regular dive buddy it occured to me that it might be good practice to set up and break down your buddies gear for them on a few occasions .They are meanwhile doing the same for you. That way you are both gaining familiarity with the specifics of each others gear setup.
The owner of the gear would check after setup of course.
Am I thinking this through propperly or is there something wrong with my thinking ?

Last edited:
I don't disagree with your reasoning, but I would be extremely uncomfortable diving a rig that someone else set up. Howling fantods central. I'd probably break it down and set it back up again.

I strongly disagree! A buddy is free to check out my equipment to make sure it is familiar & in suitable working order for myself & them, but no, I will not let them set my equipment up. That is my life support down below, I alone am responsible for making sure it is as I need it to be. By letting your buddy assemble your gear, you are putting your life in their hands. Do you trust your buddy that much?

Reactions: Jax
If you are both diving a similar setup - Jacket bcd's weight belts etc then you may already be familiar with their gear setup

I probably wouldn't want someone setting up my gear if its MY gear, and they're using rental gear
especially if it is semi-expensive gear

but then again you said regular dive buddy, but you kinda already know your regular dive buddies gear

Unless it's super involved tech gear, I don't think I would really need to set up their gear for them (maybe watch, but thats about it)

Not a bad idea if you have a regular buddy who's open to learning. It would be a good way to build teamwork but I would double check after just for my peace of mind. Familiarity with other systems is always a good thing.
Here's mine. Feel free to tinker:
Picture2020-2.jpg

What's that weird hose on the right hand side for?

Not a bad idea if you have a regular buddy who's open to learning. It would be a good way to build teamwork but I would double check after just for my peace of mind. Familiarity with other systems is always a good thing.
Here's mine. Feel free to tinker:
View attachment 98385

Nice, But I would ditch the inflator hose (don't need no stinken BC).

Well, you know, with this modern gear some people like to use a non manual BC and I sometimes dive a drysuit.
I forgot to mention you will need a screw driver to swap tanks and a jigsaw if you want to make backplate adjustments.

Have you tried running a straw under your neck seal that you could just blow into? Do you carry a jigsaw with you, if so maybe an attachment clip on the tank so that you always have it (you could also maybe drop some lead?).

Well, you know, with this modern gear some people like to use a non manual BC and I sometimes dive a drysuit.
I forgot to mention you will need a screw driver to swap tanks and a jigsaw if you want to make backplate adjustments.

I understand your logic but really, if my buddy is so ......dumb for lack of a better word ...that he can not figure out my gear I am not sure I want to dive with him. Please,reg goes on tank valve, BC if you use one hooks to tank, LP inflator hose hooks to LP inflator if you use one, what more is there?
Now if you are diving with Dale, then maybe the art of buddy breathing is not a bad thing to learn. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom