Whats happening to diving certification? Where have the standards gone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Everyone,

I was speaking with another diver just a short while ago, and they brought up an interesting point. Having been certified just a few months ago, and with less than 10 dives under her belt, I brought up the topic of dive tables. Curiously, she responded "Oh, we never learned how to use those in my course, we just used computers." I found this to be interesting, I knew that a lot of shops will outfit OW Diver courses with computers to make it easier, but I always thought they would atleast be taught how to use a table. So, I asked if they at least went over them in the course, and maybe ran through some basic practice exercises, but sure enough her response was "Nope, the instructor just held one up, pointed to a big one on the wall, and said "This is a dive table. We used to use these, but now everything is computerized, so we dont use them anymore." and that was that." I was astounded to learn that not only were there never any exercises taught on how to even use tables, indeed they were never even mentioned again, but that when asked what to do if your computer runs out of batteries between dives or during a dive the instructor replied "You should follow a backup dive plan or call the dive." never once suggesting that you pull out a table and at least get a sense for where you are in terms of nitrogen loading.

So my question is this, where have all the standards gone? Being a diver who loves diving with all that I have, and in the process of pursuing my DM, I swear sometimes I think diving is being dumbed down way too much. I dont think that going back to the old days of diving, where it was more military than recreational, would be the best way to go, but really, how can we expect the next generation of divers to be responsible and safe if they dont even know how to use a dive table? I use a computer, I always do unless im diving enriched air where I prefer NOAA tables, but this all makes me wonder if we have made diving too simple just for the money of getting more people certified. What amazes me even more is that the shop was featured in a major diving publication as being one of the best on the West Coast (United States) for their great instruction. I am sure they have some great instructors, and I have seen that they run a quality retail shop, but really? Not even an exercise on how to use a table? How do they expect their students to fair if they try to learn proper EANx diving one day? That should not be the first time they will have used a table by any means.

Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion? I just can't help but feel that we are polluting the "pool" of divers with poor instruction. It is not the fault of the students that they have never been taught how to use a table, how to properly rescue an injured diver, how to recognize DCS, or even the basics of risk management, but instead have been told that they ocean is a giant playground full of friendly fish and currents waiting to carry you off into some mystical landscape. I love the ocean, I love diving, and I love introducing new people to our unique world; however, I would hate to see what would happen if half of these students tried to go out and dive the Sonoma or Mendocino coast. Up here its rough conditions 90% of the time, less than 15 ft vis 95% of the time, always strong currents, and always "sharky" waters, yet its being presented as a giant playground.

I'm interested in your opinions, I just can't help but think that being a future DM I am going to be finding myself in the presence of divers who are less and less prepared for what they are getting themselves into, not the self-sufficient, responsible divers they should be.

Thanks,

TogaLive

I have to agree. Not knowing why and how to run tables puts people out of touch with their own physiology, and invites complacency.

That Harry Potter character- Mad Eye Moody- always said "Constant vigilance!"

That funny analog gauge by my computer? A bottom timer. Wound up before each dive.

While I agree with you about the dumbing down of courses and the reduction in standards I don't think that the elimination of tables is, necessarily, symptomatic. If she understood decompression theory and was taught to use a computer rather than table, that's legitimate, though not my preference.

The tables vs. computers debate has gone on a while now. Personally I use both, unless on a shallow dive. You would think knowing tables is just a good idea, not even considering the question of what to do if your computer dies ("just have a back up computer"--right, you buy me one). As far as dumbing down, from all I read, of course this has occurred. Perhaps the OW is quicker, easier, because many divers never dive unless in the tropics with a DM/guide. I think the training is still there, but it involves taking lots of courses--particularly Rescue. Include this stuff in OW like it apparently used to be and the cost would probably like taking 5 or more specialties. The length of the course would deter folks as well--we want stuff FAST today. People have quoted stats that say dive accidents are reduced today fom years back. Many others attribute this to improved equipment--makes sense to me. But I do agree that being just OW certified today is nowhere near enough. It is, unless something goes wrong.

In the classes I teach, I primarily teach computers. However, I also introduce my students to the tables. I feel it gives them some background information as to why their computers are displying the readings they have. I do not require them to master them, but I do expect them to understand the general flow of information. Do I dive tables? Not recreationally, however, I do use tables with my technical diving as a back- up to my computers. I agree with Thalassamania, tables are becoming obsolete & not neccesary as long as the student understands basic decompression theory & how their computer works.

First off, I just wanted to make it clear (so noone gets the wrong idea) that I'm not creating this thread to bash on new divers in any way. I am only asking a few basic questions with regard to certification standards and instruction, and I welcome divers of any level (especially new divers) to reply, any and all feedback is great!

While I agree with you about the dumbing down of courses and the reduction in standards I don't think that the elimination of tables is, necessarily, symptomatic. If she understood decompression theory and was taught to use a computer rather than table, that's legitimate, though not my preference.

I suppose thats where I really seem to be hitting a wall of sorts. Call me old-fashioned, but I tend to like knowing why things are the way they are, what makes things work the way they do. Would it be possible to truly understand decompression theory in a manner applicable to diving without knowing how to use tables? Computers are great, I love diving with mine, but I am concerned were going to get a bunch of divers who become so atrophied in the use of tables that the world goes to hell if their batteries run out on a dive trip (among other things). What are your thoughts?

As I've stated many times, in many threads: It is an understanding of the underlying model that is important, tables are naught but snapshots of a model in action while computers are just cartoons of the same thing. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, someone who understands decompression can rather easily figure either of them out, if need be.

But I do agree that being just OW certified today is nowhere near enough. It is, unless something goes wrong.

I could not agree more with you. I was certified just over a year ago, and I already have noticed a significant difference in how the courses are taught, and thats saying something since I know I still got it easier than most! It wasnt until I took my course to get AAUS certified and another student made the comment of "Wow, I never realized what a dumb diver I was before." that I really came to the same conclusion. Its not to say that all divers who arent Rescue or Advanced etc certified are poor divers, but simply that there are some serious discontinuities out there. Personally, I no longer feel very comfortable diving in rough conditions unless my buddy is Rescue Diver trained at the minimum, and if they are trained in oxygen admin. thats a plus as well. It startles me a bit to think that in the future as a DM if something beyond my control were to happen to me that I would likely not be rescued effectively simply because more and more basic skills aren't being taught until later courses labeled as "Specialty" courses. Your point on the issue of cost is a definite motivating factor for sure.

As I've stated many times, in many threads: It is an understanding of the underlying model that is important, tables are naught but snapshots of a model in action while computers are just cartoons of the same thing. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, someone who understands decompression can rather easily figure either of them out, if need be.

After a bit more thought, I would have to agree with you that if a student did have a satisfactory knowledge of the theory that they could understand the purpose of a table. I would, however, wonder if that same student could apply them by using a table. At least for me, learning to use a table was one of the toughest parts about my OW certification, more on the part of actually applying the theory to the table and getting my pressure groups and bottom times etc from it. I knew the theory, but those tables can be downright confusing at times as a new diver! None the less, your position is a completely valid one that I appreciate!

There are a lot of ways to display information. PADI has the eRDP that is a digital representation of their tables. I think that is what your new diver is referring to and not an actual dive computer. Great for accuracy and old people like me who have a tough time reading small text. There is a lot to be said for people making mistakes in class by misreading a table.

In addition, I see another problem. You end up having to teach the tables when they take the NITROX class.

Togalive, try this on: link and link.

Back
Top Bottom