A-B-C-D-E-F-G pre-dive checklist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rebelrph

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't seen this written anywhere, so I'm thinking it's and original idea. We all learn the pre-dive checks during OW cert. I came up with this one to use and it has worked well for me so I thought I'd pass it along.

A- Air on? tank full?
B- BCD ok? includes LP inflator attached, some air in, weights in, nothing dangling, (if using weight belt, check here)
C- Computer? on and set to correct Nitrox %
D- Defog mask (do you have it?)
E- Everyone else doing these checks?
F- Fins on
G- Go diving!

Todd C

Not bad. I was taught the old standard, "Big Women Really Are Fun" (Buoyancy, Weights, Air, releases, Final). Add computer set to proper air mix, and "fins" to "Final" and you're good to go with either list.

Plus, big women really *are* fun...

ABCD or ABCDE is pretty standard

ABCD is air, bcd, computer, decend

ABCDE is air, bcd, computer, dive gear, enter.

My daughter learned (SDI, 2005):

A - Air on - confirmed by breathing ALL regulators (primary, secondary, and Air 2) while checking PSG
B - BC - inflator hose attached, secured to body, air in bladder, no danglies
C - computer - on, battery life good
D - Da weights (work with me here) - weights in pouches, releases readily available and NOT trapped
E - eyes - mask fitted and secure
F - fins - on
G - "good to go"

we do this EVERY time - individually and again as a team (my background is aviation/EMS - not many chances for second chances)

I really like the standard "BWRAF" (Bruce Willis Ruins All Films, not true, but I remember it).

While it's not as easy to remember as your ABC's, I find that a nonstandard mnemonic makes it easy to remember what the letters are supposed to stand for.

While yours pretty much accomplishes the same as BWRAF, it adds mask and fins, which I doubt any diver would actually forget to do, and omits releases, which I think is really important to check.

That said, as long as you're doing any checklist at all, that's a leg up on those divers who just can't be bothered. Do just do a checklist, and you're good in my book! (Just make sure you and your buddy are using the same standards, otherwise you could end up having an embarassing shoreside argument over whether "computer" or "weights" comes next.) :wink:

I really like the standard "BWRAF" (Bruce Willis Ruins All Films, not true, but I remember it).

While it's not as easy to remember as your ABC's, I find that a nonstandard mnemonic makes it easy to remember what the letters are supposed to stand for.

While yours pretty much accomplishes the same as BWRAF, it adds mask and fins, which I doubt any diver would actually forget to do, and omits releases, which I think is really important to check.

That said, as long as you're doing any checklist at all, that's a leg up on those divers who just can't be bothered. Do just do a checklist, and you're good in my book! (Just make sure you and your buddy are using the same standards, otherwise you could end up having an embarassing shoreside argument over whether "computer" or "weights" comes next.) :wink:

I agree, releases is very important.. and not just for yourself but to know how to operate your buddies (and that they know how to operate yours).

I just do a head-to-toe check. It doesn't require that I remember any mnemonics -- I just start at my head and work down my body. My buddies do the same thing at the same time, so if I were to miss anything, they would call me on that.

My daughter learned (SDI, 2005):

A - Air on - confirmed by breathing ALL regulators (primary, secondary, and Air 2) while checking PSG
B - BC - inflator hose attached, secured to body, air in bladder, no danglies
C - computer - on, battery life good
D - Da weights (work with me here) - weights in pouches, releases readily available and NOT trapped
E - eyes - mask fitted and secure
F - fins - on
G - "good to go"

we do this EVERY time - individually and again as a team (my background is aviation/EMS - not many chances for second chances)

As a firefighter (wife paramedic) I agree with the no second chances...

I knew it was too simple to really be an original idea... story of my life !

Great discussions though

TC

I'm partial to BWRAF as well, though for some reason it sticks in always stuck in my head as boo-raf (like raft minus the T)

Obviously use whatever works for you, I personally would have problems with your B though: "B- BCD ok? includes LP inflator attached, some air in, weights in, nothing dangling, (if using weight belt, check here)" a little too much in there to remember for my tastes.

I just do a head-to-toe check. It doesn't require that I remember any mnemonics -- I just start at my head and work down my body. My buddies do the same thing at the same time, so if I were to miss anything, they would call me on that.

I am just like you. So many acronyms out there. I like checks to be done in a logical manner that way I do not forget anything. I will ask my buddy to look away from me and I will do a head to heel. Then I ask them to face me and restart the process. As I go down, I also make mental note of their configuration either for my own use or in case of emergency. I also ask them to do the same. If I am diving with divers who are not familiar with my configuration, I will not hesitate to point out the differences as they do my pre-dive check and how to operate or undo my set-up if that becomes a requirement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom