Jupiter trip report 07/12/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
Jupiter Dive Center Jupiter Dive Center

Check In: Gerry, Adam L., Amy

Captain: Tim

Guide: Ryan

Deckhands: Beau, Adam

Two trips, four tanks total, thanks to 35% nitrox

Sites: Mike's, Center Street, The Wrecks, Scarface

Surface : Calm seas, bright sun, air temp high 80's

Water: Temp 77 to 80's, vis 40 to 80 feet

Animals of Note:

2 caribbean reef sharks

3 nurse sharks

3 spotted eagle rays

5 loggerhead sea turtles

4 hawksbill sea turtles

12 + giant groupers (I refuse to call these creatures by the disparaging label of "Goliath Grouper" we need another name for these magnificent and intelligent animals) one of them was rather hefty, over 350 lbs.

Solid summer diving, an enthusiastic group of explorers aboard. Nine invasive lionish harvested by Sandy, they will soon be recast as comestibles.

disparaging label of "Goliath Grouper"----- Hmm this is a interesting point. They were called "Jewfish" which I believe had to do with it being considered a "Grand Kosher Fish" -- so instead they renamed it Goliath after a Philistine warrior who was a enemy of David the future king of Israel. I am not a Hebrew but I would think this would be MORE offensive technically if anyone actually cared about it and no one really seems to that I have talked to who is Jewish.

disparaging label of "Goliath Grouper"----- Hmm this is a interesting point. They were called "Jewfish" which I believe had to do with it being considered a "Grand Kosher Fish" -- so instead they renamed it Goliath after a Philistine warrior who was a enemy of David the future king of Israel. I am not a Hebrew but I would think this would be MORE offensive technically if anyone actually cared about it and no one really seems to that I have talked to who is Jewish.

I am growing tired of PC speech invading everything. I'm not "vertically gifted" I'm tall. Can't see how calling a Goliath grouper is offensive to the fish. And words have more than 1 meaning:

Goliath:
–noun
1. the giant warrior of the Philistines whom David killed with a stone from a sling. I Sam. 17:48–51.
2.( usually lowercase ) a giant.
3.( usually lowercase ) a very large, powerful, or influential person or thing: a neighborhood grocery competing against the supermarket goliaths.

Given those things can get up over 800lbs at times, Goliath DOES fit to describe the fish perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom