Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know that there are other threads about what is the best SM tank out there already but I couldnt find an answer to my exact question. It was recommended to me that Faber LP85's are great SM tanks and I have seen them mentioned on the board many times and most people seem to like them. I am currently using AL80's for SM but want to pick up some Steel tanks for some tech diving classes I will be taking later this year. (open water diving if it maters) After researching the Faber85's they seem very similar to AL80. Mabey I am misreading or misunderstanding but the specs on the tanks are almost identical. Even the full and empty bouyancy spec are pretty close. I am getting my info from the following sites.

Catalina Aluminum Scuba Cylinder Specifications - Imperial

L85DVB Faber Cylinder, Piranha Dive Manufacturing

So my question is, if the information posted in these sites is correct why spend the extra money and get the Faber85's? I can almost get two AL80's for the price of one LP85. Am I missing something.

Also I see that the 85's have a working pressure of 2400 PSI +10%. Does that mean I have to get them filled to 2640 PSI for them to have 85 cubic feet?

Thanks in advance.

85 should be 0 when empty with a valve and about -6 when full. steel cylinders typically dont go positive like AL, and for sidemount wont get floaty when they low. 85's work well for most people but there is no 'perfect' sidemount tank for everyone it depends on type of diving you do as well as your body type.

Yes, you'll need 2640psi in them to have 85 cf of gas. The benefit? You can pump them to 3600 and get 116 cf a tank, a considerably increase in capacity. This is not a benefit to you if you don't have the means(via dive shop willing to, or your own compressor) to overfill these tanks to that sort of pressure(commonly called a 'cave fill').

You don't want to overfill an AL80 to increase capacity.

I would stear clear of Faber 85s, get Worthington 85s, they'll ride a bit more negative and won't get floaty.

If you want to get fabers, get faber 95s :)

Reactions: Jax
85 should be 0 when empty with a valve and about -6 when full. steel cylinders typically dont go positive like AL, and for sidemount wont get floaty when they low. 85's work well for most people but there is no 'perfect' sidemount tank for everyone it depends on type of diving you do as well as your body type.

Just a comment on something that kinda took me by surprise ... steel cylinders may not get floaty overall ... but I discovered that the Faber LP95's do indeed get butt-light when you let the tank pressure drop below about 1000 or so psi. I used these cylinders in Florida for my initial training, but never had one get down under about 1700 psi ... so never noticed. At home ... in OW ... where I'm running the tanks down to about 700 psi by the end of the dive, they were floating up in the back like AL80's do. Overall, they may be still negative, but most of that weight is up on the valve.

Not sure if the 85's work like that ... but it would be worth finding out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I also considered the Faber95's. I can always add a pound or two to the cam strap if need be. I know I will probaly end up buying several different tanks over the years if I get into tech diving but I am trying to get tanks that can get me through a good bit of technical training. Lets just say I end up completing a trimix class and begin doing dives in 250 foot range. Are 95's capable of doing dives to this depth? I know theres alot more that goes into it then that but I am just trying to get a ballpark idea. I will not be able to get "cave fills" at my LDS just 3000 PSI fills.

Fabers LP85s are butt floaty. I do not dive side mount but I have them as back mount and I have to put all the extra weight on the tail with an X weight unlike Catalina AL80 where I can just use a v weight.

As for the buoyancy I do have about 8 lb less lead on them than on the AL80. The tank weights about the same on the surface but holds more air.

I also considered the Faber95's. I can always add a pound or two to the cam strap if need be. I know I will probaly end up buying several different tanks over the years if I get into tech diving but I am trying to get tanks that can get me through a good bit of technical training. Lets just say I end up completing a trimix class and begin doing dives in 250 foot range. Are 95's capable of doing dives to this depth? I know theres alot more that goes into it then that but I am just trying to get a ballpark idea. I will not be able to get "cave fills" at my LDS just 3000 PSI fills.
Personally, I wouldn't be doing dives to 250 on anything less than 119's ... and even then I might consider bringing a stage, unless I wasn't planning on staying long. Now, of course, you can always fill those '95's to 3600 psi and get the equivalent gas volume, but why not just get tanks that are built for the volume you want to use? And since you indicate that you wouldn't be able to get overfills on 'em, I'd say the 95's won't get you where you want to go.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I never tried the 85s, but have been very happy with worthingtons 100s. I've had the cylinders down to 500psi without noticing anything wanting to float up. I'm going to get a pair of 130s for trimix dives; they have fairly similar buoyancy characteristics to the 100s.

Andre

Yes, I can also recommend the Worthington 100's (I have two sets dedicated for side-mount) ... likewise, I've had them down to 500 psi and they ride nice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom