D7000 & Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divejay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
D7000 in Nauticam housing has been just awesome. Reef photo in Ft. Lauderdale, FL steered me to the right housing for the right camera. They quized me about what kind of photo/video needs for my type of diving and also put with the right lenses, domes, stobes and video lights. Reef Photo also runs clinics in Grand Cayman 4-6 times a year. Nothing like being trained by the pros.

I agree. . . I just purchased my Nauticam housing and D7000, diving only once with it in Cayman Brac. After using a Subal housing and D200 for many years with manual strobe lighting, it is going to take awhile to get use to TTL with the new stuff & fiber optic cables. Unfortunately, I purchased from Backscatter and have not been as pleased with the quality of service and professionalism. I did call Reef Photo about a question when I first received the housing, and got an immediate answer. Because I did not receive the Inon 45 degree viewfinder installed on the housing, I had to send it back when I returned from Brac. Later, they wanted my camera as well, which costed me $50.00 (insurance and shipping). They kept my system for month & half, only to get it back two days before my scheduled dive trip (paying an additional $25.00 for express shipping). I had repeatedly told them I needed my stuff back at least week before the trip so I could familiarize myself with it and practice.

Reef Photo & Video are just great people to deal with and they would of not let that happen. Plus, they are running clinics on Grand Cayman all the time. Just last month Reef Photo/Nauitcam was at Cobalt Coast Dive Resort for a week running daily clinics. Then they were in the Keys for a week. The clinics are a great way to get through the learning curve on a new rig and camera.

Personally, I use a Nimar housing and it's never failed me. What I mean by that is, it's never flooded or cracked. Although I've dropped the housing quite a few times. I enjoy having a clear housing rather than an aluminum case(it's better don't get me wrong) but I clear because I can see, just in case, if my housing floods. I DO NOT want my baby to get wet. But um, here's a link to a nimar casing, check it out if you want

Nimar Underwater Housing f/Nikon D7000 DSLR NI303D4001 B&H Photo

I've heard good things about ikelite, I'm not trying talk bobo.

Personally, I use a Nimar housing and it's never failed me. What I mean by that is, it's never flooded or cracked. Although I've dropped the housing quite a few times. I enjoy having a clear housing rather than an aluminum case(it's better don't get me wrong) but I clear because I can see, just in case, if my housing floods. I DO NOT want my baby to get wet. But um, here's a link to a nimar casing, check it out if you want

The problem with a clear housing is your camera light meter is not getting a true reading of what you lens is going to shoot. Then when your camera strob fires to fire your external strobs the camera strob is to close to your lens producing particles in front of your photo. Then for a wide angle distant shoot you have to remember to turn off your camera strob or again it will capture particles in the water. Your comment about seeing water in your housing, Nauitcam has a one drop water sensor but if you see water inside your clear housing it is all over by then. The only reason anybody would want a clear housing, it is cheaper.

If you have dropped your housing (a few times) you may want to stick with a cheap housing.

As to the Nauticam system, I have the D90 version and it has been flawless. Love it. Congrats on your new rig.

Back
Top Bottom