Question: shallow shore diving (w/Nitrox if needed) then hang glide few hours later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sobe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings,

I cant find the right table or equation for this + dont know exactly how high hang gliders go.
Lets say the diving would be 20ft or less for single enriched tank, is this doable?

Before I get flammed: I know that out in Australia there is helicopter diving and they keep it under 1000 feet.
So anybody a hang gliding expert? While Im waiting on elevation info..

Thanks and feel free to just shoot me where to find the correct table/info and I can do the homework..

::UPDATE:: So it turns out they fly at 2500-3000 ft, and its a 4:30pm arrival with a bunch of instruction. Since its higher then I thought I guess it comes down to "off gassing" with a long shallow Nitrox dive.

Last edited:
Greetings,

I cant find the right table or equation for this + dont know exactly how high hang gliders go.
Lets say the diving would be 20ft or less for single enriched tank, is this doable?

Before I get flammed: I know that out in Australia there is helicopter diving and they keep it under 1000 feet.
So anybody a hang gliding expert? While Im waiting on elevation info..

Thanks and feel free to just shoot me where to find the correct table/info and I can do the homework..

You dont need or want Nitrox for 20 foot deep dives. I would ask, are you an aerobically fit athlete, as this goes to your being able to offgas more quickly in the future, assuming you end up getting a little deeper than 20 feet--maybe heading more to 40 or 50...I have never seen a couch potatoe hang glider, so I'll assume you are fairly fit....

1000 feet should not really be an altitude issue for you, particularly if you are hang gliding more than an hour after diving. You won't in-gas much at all on 20 foot or less dives, so DCS issues are unlikely for you in this situation...I assume your 20 foot or less dives are an hour to 2 hours or less, not 8 hours on surface supllied air :)

Thanks! Still waiting on info, but googling I do see some gliders go as high as 2500 ft.

Im 27 and healthy, but usually dive deep so never used enriched and figured it might help in this scenario.. (the cert card is burning a hole in my pocket)

The local SFL group has an 8:30 and 10:30 (was hoping for 10:30)

But this forum makes me think its not an option: Flying after Scuba Diving with Nitrox [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

Should not be an issues if you stay in the 20ft range and have a SI of 90min. That being said, I would rather first hang glide and then dive.

Should not be an issues if you stay in the 20ft range and have a SI of 90min. That being said, I would rather first hang glide and then dive.
Yeah! Hang glide to the boat over the dive site, ditch, breakdown the kite, and dive :D

Yeah! Hang glide to the boat over the dive site, ditch, breakdown the kite, and dive :D

Sounds like a hang glider I know :)

Thanks! Still waiting on info, but googling I do see some gliders go as high as 2500 ft.

Im 27 and healthy, but usually dive deep so never used enriched and figured it might help in this scenario.. (the cert card is burning a hole in my pocket)

The local SFL group has an 8:30 and 10:30 (was hoping for 10:30)

But this forum makes me think its not an option: Flying after Scuba Diving with Nitrox [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

I live at 3600ft above sea level.. If I go shallow I always give 3+ hours.. If I go deep I give 8 hours at sea level usually. On Nitrox I can cheat at deeper depths but not shallower as that does not make that much of a difference.

Point? Wait 3+ hours at least!!! I initially started out though with crazy times between going home after diving. Slowly I worked towards shorter times.

NOTE!!!!! HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!!! I would advise reading at DAN as well as Navy and get educated on the reality behind how these things work. Yeah its a risk quite a large one for just pleasure.. Imagine what can happen if you get caught in a thermal and go above the specified altitude above.. It seems to me do like they do in Maui, Haleakala First!!! then go dive.

For what it's worth, I was in FLL a few weeks ago and did dives at LBTS two evenings, followed by flights to 10K feet in an unpressurized plane the following mornings. MY SI was about 12 hours so not quite same day, but no problems at all. As others have said, shallow dive no deeper than 20 feet and you shouldn't have much issue.

With compressed air I was getting 50+ minutes on 2500 lbs of gas. More than enough time to really enjoy the dive and still have gas to spare if I wanted another 15 minutes or so. If you're sucking gas really fast Nitrox isn't going to help and if you're not, NDL for those depths is crazy so Nitrox isn't going to really be much of a benefit. You would probably be better served just using air for depths shallower than 20.

I would recommend calling DAN and asking them what their thoughts are.

I would recommend doing some very heavy research in the NOAA website (scuba section) and seeing if they have a sliding scale as to time/depth and altitude & why it is set up that way.

I would take a long look at your set of dive tables and the time it takes to off gas for different depths & think whether a deep dive or a shallow dive would have more risk.

No answers here, but things to think about.

I would recommend calling DAN and asking them what their thoughts are.

I would recommend doing some very heavy research in the NOAA website (scuba section) and seeing if they have a sliding scale as to time/depth and altitude & why it is set up that way.

I would take a long look at your set of dive tables and the time it takes to off gas for different depths & think whether a deep dive or a shallow dive would have more risk.

No answers here, but things to think about.

Be safe. If its diving then hang gliding, the first thing is to separate the activities by as much time as scheduling permits. A single dive to 20 feet for 90 minutes or less has less impact than a week of diving at 60-100 feet several times a day, but you are still dealing with an increased risk factor for DCI. Airline depressurize cabins only to about 5000 feet equivalent, so 2500 to 3000 feet is a serious altitude change. If you must do the hangliding the same day, I would consider it ONLY if you maximum depth was 25 feet or less, and allow an interval of 3 times your bottom time before Starting on the trip that gets you to the 3000 foot level. Be safe. Take an extra day off.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom