Ft Lauderdale Area Dive Op/Dive Site Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassyknoll

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be staying in Ft Lauderdale for a few days next month as was thinking of schleping my gear along for a few dives.

I'm looking for reccomendations for sites and operators.
Parameters:
Operators/Dive Site locations- Looking for close proximity to the the Ft Lauderdale airport area (that's where my hotel is and I'm not wanting to rent a car).
Prefer ops running 6-packs or small boats.

Dive site types - Wreck or reef is fine.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Yeah. I just asked the same question about a week ago and no one answered. Must be some secret stuff going on.

I'll be arriving in south fl for school August 15th, my plan is to shore dive as much as possible that whole week. Both BHB and shore dives off the coast

I aim for 2 or more shore dives/day that whole week

I REALLY NEED BUDDIES FOR THE COAST-SHORE DIVES - im sure i'll be able to find buddies @ bhb, so I need people for the subsuquent dives (and/ or BHB)

feel free to add me/ msg me on here

Here's everything you need to know, six-pack ops have red phone numbers:

Fort Lauderdale/Dania(Port Everglades)
American Dream II Capt. Todd Rogers / 954-577-0338
Sea Experience Capt. Bill Cole / 954-467-6000
Blue Runner / 954-923-2388

Pompano Beach and Boca Raton (Hillsboro & Boca Inlets)
Avid Diver / Captain Oliver Paoli / 954-854-7786
Diversity / Captain Tony Coulter / 561-368-9952
Miss Conduct / Captain Conrad Nix / 954-698-6139
Under Pressure / Captain Randy Whitneck / 954-943-2628
Parrot Island Capt. Jerry / 954-942-7333
Pompano Dive Center 954-788-0208
Tonto / Captain Bob Sheridan / 954-548-4457
Lady Go Diver / 954-421-2601
South Florida Diving HQ / 800-771-3483
ScubaTyme / / 954-786-0909

Last edited:
Grassy and Gorrobo,

What they said. The reason there isn't much response is your requirement that the dive operators be near your hotel at the airport, which is about 6 miles from the water. I'm not aware of any of them offering shuttle services. You may need to take a cab or rent a car to use any of the dive ops mentioned.

Blackvans

Hook up with Gold Coast Scuba's meetup. I don't know if you'll get two per day, but I know they shore dive pretty much daily with two shores and boat dive or two on weekends. They also regularly dive BHB. (btw, if you can call Force E Scuba in Riviera Beach - they sponsor night dives at BHB, which are not to be missed!) Last time I checked, there's a two week free trial membership at the GCS meetup. Their home shop is in Lauderdale by the Sea and if I was going to hit the beach diving as hard as you are, I'd buy a 25 tank fill card, which makes the most expensive part of your dive the parking meters by the beach.

I just looked at their calendar. Including the free shore diving clinic, they did 21 dives last week.

Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

Last edited:
Grassyknoll,

About 2 to 3 times a year, I will "hop" down to Fort Lauderdale from So Cal, for an extended weekend of some warm water diving & relaxation from the Los Angeles Rat Race. I usually DO get a cheap rental car by the airport and grab a cheap motel room on the beach ( A1A) and dive with Amercian Dream or Sea XP. Used to go with Pro Dive but they are out of business. Here are some recommendations for all the above;

Sea Club Resort - $60 a night, coffee shop, bar, pool, cheap, decent, on the water, not fancy.
Bahia Days Inn - On the water, restaurant, close to dive op's and close to the Elbo Room and other great little restaurants on the beach right there.
Sunshine Rent a Car - $12 a day, close to airport. Nice guys, no "insurance" hard sell, decent cars. Having a car is good for the trip to CVS or Starbucks or Reef Photo or Las Olas or out to Divers Direct/Pro Bass or Down to Aventura Mall, or perhaps even hop down to Key Largo.

There are quite a few other hotel/motel options around and on the beach that are reasonable. Do a little homework and you will find. I ALWAYS have a great time there.

Thanks for all the replies Muzikbiz, deepstops, bilsant & blackvans1234.
I tyhink I have enough info among all the replies and it looks like hooking up with Gold Coast Divers for shore diving might be a good option.

One last follow up question, I'm staying at the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina on 17th street which seems to be only a few blocks from the beach. Are there any decent shore dives in close proximity (say within a few miles).

Thanks again for all replies.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom