Kids gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tresguey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a 13 year old daughter that weighs about 80 pounds soak and wet. She is very interested in learning to SCUBA. I have been working on her snorkel skills in the pool a lot but none of my masks fit her well. I am looking for recommendations for a BC, fins and mask for her. The mask and fins I think should be the easiest. My biggest concern is the BC.

I know I am gonna get "in trouble" for saying this but a BP/W is a very good option for a young person because it is cheaper, easy to put together yourself, and will grow with her simply by changing some very inexpensive webbing and one can usually find a used one if they look for it. The fins and mask are easy to find as you said.

Tobin is great here because he has many different sized backplates for different sized people. So pretty much agreeing with the above poster.

As far as mask etc, best bet is to head to the LDS to find a good proper fit for her. Since everyone face is different the mask that works best for you could very well be bad for her. When I was trying on masks last time I was shopping I had 2 models from the same company and the same 'size' as it where. One I could keep on my face with the little inhale, the other I needed to act like a vacuum.

Dive Rite TransPac worked well from my sons, they where certified at 10 and where able to we them until they where 18 years old. we could have gotten larger straps but switched to backplate and wings. They snug up better then anything else that I looked at. Big problem for the smaller kids is the tank flops from side to side. Also get a smaller tank like a 60 aluminum. Look at freediving masks they tend to be a little smaller.

Kevin

Forgot to mention another major problem is getting enough weight on kids when they wear a thicker weight suit. Weight belts tend to slide off them this is the down side of a backplate and wing. I do not like integrated weights but they make it alot easier with the smaller kids.

Kevin

I just put together a rig for my son who weighs about the same but a little younger. I used a dive rite aluminum plate and an Oxycheq 18 lb wing. I rigged a basic harness with crotch and chest strap. It turned out very streamlined for his size. The fit and comfort are great and the rig will grow with him.

Forgot to mention another major problem is getting enough weight on kids when they wear a thicker weight suit. Weight belts tend to slide off them this is the down side of a backplate and wing. I do not like integrated weights but they make it alot easier with the smaller kids.

Kevin

I have the same problem so what I did was grab a DUI weight harness to hold the weights. I've done my OW Certs in them and was a breeze.

Don't put your teenager/new diver in second rate gear. There are many manufacturers who make extra small and xxsmall bc's. When your child grows out of it, you can sell it or donate it for tax savings. You have alot of options. Ask at you local dive shop. Try on their rentals and find one you like. Masks are also made in a variety of sizes. I urge you to take time and go to a local shop to look at, try on, and acquire quality equipment. It will make diving more fun, safer, and your teen will be a more active diver. ( By the way, I am not a shop owner nor do I sell equipment at any level).
DivemasterDennis

That is why the Transpac or the backplate are really good options you will not have to donate or sell. Just remember there is a very smal market for little kids scuba equipment. I have given a bunch of stuff away because there really is not much of a market for it. Also I looked at alot of the little standard jacket BCs and they could not get snug enough to keep the tanks under control and they where all brand name.

Kevin

Don't put your teenager/new diver in second rate gear. There are many manufacturers who make extra small and xxsmall bc's. When your child grows out of it, you can sell it or donate it for tax savings. You have alot of options. Ask at you local dive shop. Try on their rentals and find one you like. Masks are also made in a variety of sizes. I urge you to take time and go to a local shop to look at, try on, and acquire quality equipment. It will make diving more fun, safer, and your teen will be a more active diver. ( By the way, I am not a shop owner nor do I sell equipment at any level).
DivemasterDennis

I was seriously thinking to go with BP/W for her. Since I have never used this type of setup I was unsure about it for a child/beginner. Myself I use a Ranger LTD which I would consider a type of hybrid. And it took me a bit to get use to. But then again I would figure if you start out with a BP/W it would be better.

Since she has a very small head/face I will take a look at the free dive masks with her. Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom