Starting sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone, My LDS just started offering sidemount courses. I'm taking them as soon as I get back from a trip in early august. They did a seminar recently talking about new gear and the courses they were carrying. They were talking about the differences with the dive rite package and hollis package. Granted i'm going to wait until ive completed the class before i purchase or sell anything, but they said with the dive rite (nomad I believe) that I would have to purchase my bungees and clips and everything separatley but if I were to get the Hollis sms 100 that it came with "everything". im not worried about them trying to push hollis over dive rite because they carry both. So I was wondering what exactly is "everything" that the Hollis sms comes with? I realize that switching from backmount to sidemount there are different and more expenses. But if i were to buy sms 100 what else would i need to purchase other than cam bands for my tanks? And for the time being I am not going to be technically diving, just looking to do sidemounting so looking for bare minimum currently and will add on later. thanks.

Well the Hollis SMS 100 comes with 2 cambands, Nylon cord, 4 large bolt-snaps. In one manner of speaking you dont need anything else to get it wet but you may want to invest in a loop bungee system which will make the tanks ride right where there supposed to.

With the diverite system you will have to spring for the cambands or whatever other tank rigging you so choose.

The Hollis also comes with the bungees... at least the systems that I have purchased for students.

Dive Rite makes two systems: The EXP and the JT. Hollis has a single bladder version as well as a model with a double bladder. Both Hollis and DR are popular in the workshops that I have held during the past couple of years and both seem well-made and good value. DR has a longer track record since the company's founder (Lamar Hires) is something of a SM guru. Hollis is breaking into the market based on the package and pricing. Their product is excellent and dives extremely well. I use both for personal diving... and both work just fine... you will have fun.

Call Edd at Cave Adventurers -

Cave Adventurers – (850) 482-6016
Store hours – 8am to 6pm CST 365 days a year
E-mail – caveadventurers@hotmail.comhttp://caveadventurers.com/

Edd spent hours on the phone with me, sent dozens of pictures, grabbed his lady and we compared measurements, and when all was said and done, sent me a fully functional Nomad XT for one price.

Furthermore, if you go down there, there's always someone that will lend it to you so you can try it out, and they'll explain the pros and cons of everything.

I took Rob Neto's sidemount course - Rob Neto - He and Edd have been doing this for years, and have the greatest wealth of info around.

missing the xt in there, which i would take over either of those two... one major difference is the hollis is a donut wing...

BTW - the significance of the donut wing -- On a horseshoe wing like the XT, you can 'park' extra air. On the one hand - for ME personally, and I am pure novice - it was a PITA because I kept developing a list and didn't know how to handle it. However, after Rob's class, I now love it because I can park more air opposite a pony I might be carrying, and it's wonderful!

Jax, that was what i was getting at, everyone has their own preferences, but for me it seems like a big negative to have a donut wing for sidemount, especially if you plan on carrying stages.

OK, now for something a little different ... focus less on the equipment and more on the qualifications of the person you'll be learning from. Ask your instructor how long he (or she) has been diving sidemount, how many different systems they've tried out, and in what environments they've dived the rig.

The reason I'm saying so is because sidemount is becoming inreasingly popular for recreational OW divers, and some instructors are starting to teach sidemount almost immediately after learning how to use it. When that happens, you're not going to learn a whole lot about the differences between the SMS100, Nomad, Recon, Razor, or any other systems available out there ... you're going to learn basically what a "beginner" sidemount diver can teach you.

I second the suggestion to contact Edd Sorenson at Cave Adventurers ... in part because he dives these rigs every day and has dived several different ones. Edd's had a lot of input into how some of these rigs have been designed ... and understands what modifications will produce what results. I found Edd to be more than willing to talk on the phone about different SM rigs, and what might work best for you, given your diving environment. At a minimum, he can give you enough information to ask intelligent questions of whomever you're planning to get trained by.

Personally, I travelled to Florida and took my course with Rob Neto (Dive-aholic), and purchased my Nomad from Edd. He spent about a half-hour making sure I got one that fit me properly (wasn't the size I thought I'd need, and he showed me why) ... then making some modifications that made the rig easier for me to dive. He also gave me a great price on the rig I purchased.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

+1 on instructor, watching some 'sidemount' instructors classes is just pure entertainment, you cant pay for those kinds of laughs.

Back
Top Bottom