Should I get ''stiffer'' fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've recently felt like my propulsion is insufficient with my current fins.

Instead of a kick, glide, kick type of diving, I feel as though im constantly kicking.
Ive varied between short kicks and long kicks, to no avail

Any opinions?
(yes I know diving is not about speed, but I feel as though my legs could be put to better/more efficient use)

TUSA Imprex Tri-Ex

Can you get someone to video you? Problems with propulsion are, at least in my experience, more due to improper kick technique than bad fins.

Probably wont be able to :(
not for a while anyway

TUSA Imprex Tri-Ex

I dive dive these fins too and they work perfectly fine IMO being a medium stiff allround blade. Therefore I'd assume some skill issue too.

First a direct response to your question: If you fins are too flexible for your body type (ie if you are fairly athletic and not older than 60) then you will get better performance with a stiffer fin. Because the style of fins you are using work well for others does not mean they will work well for you. Size, age, conditioning, and even gender can be factors in selecting the fin that works best for you. My wife has rather flexible fins that suit here just fine, but I can't get anywhere with them. HOWEVER.. the comments about swimming technique that have been posted are also important, as is the question of proper weighting, and I will add to that proper buoyancy trim.
So: in order, here is what I prescribe. 1) Make sure you are weighted properly- not over or under. 2) Pay attention to buoyancy. Trim your buoyancy with your bcd so you do not need to kick to stay neutral. 3) Be aware of swimming technique- don't "peddle" like on a bicycle. Make yourself long, and straighten your legs. Kick from the hip with some (but not too much) knee bend. 4) If you still feel like the fins you have aren't making it, go with a stiffer fin. Check some out and talk to a knowledgeable person at you local dive shop.
DivemasterDennis

In my experience, one of the things that makes new divers feel like they are kicking like crazy and going nowhere is that they never get neutral. If you are not horizontal in the water, any kicking you do is going to drive you up in the water column; therefore, you have to stay negative in order to avoid ascending. So a substantial portion of the energy from your kicking is not driving you forward -- or anywhere else! And if you stop, you sink, so you start kicking again. It's very inefficient, and a very common pattern. Combine that with a bicycling type of kick, and you have a recipe for a lot of wasted energy (and high gas consumption, too!).

In my experience, one of the things that makes new divers feel like they are kicking like crazy and going nowhere is that they never get neutral. If you are not horizontal in the water, any kicking you do is going to drive you up in the water column; therefore, you have to stay negative in order to avoid ascending. So a substantial portion of the energy from your kicking is not driving you forward -- or anywhere else! And if you stop, you sink, so you start kicking again. It's very inefficient, and a very common pattern. Combine that with a bicycling type of kick, and you have a recipe for a lot of wasted energy (and high gas consumption, too!).
It is always funny to see these people ride invisible unicycles underwater.

Back
Top Bottom