New wreck dive in Nanaimo - almost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH20diving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Washington State - somewhere near Vancouver
A group of us were diving with Ocean Explorers in Nanaimo the first of this month. We were told they are almost ready to sink the latest ship ( ex-military tug ). Apparently all the hurdles have been cleared and they expect to scuttle the tug sometime in November. The location is about a two minute boat ride from the dock at OE. Ian from OE told us the site was chosen because the area is usually calm and not affected as much by bad weather. They expect the max depth to be around 70 ft making it a great site for training. I can see another trip north soon.

I love diving in Nanaimo ... although the Cape Breton and Sasketcheway aren't my favorite dives up there, they are wonderful dives. And I'm looking forward to diving this tug once it's down.

On the other hand, having dove a real shipwreck recently, I'll no longer be able to think of these ships as wrecks ... but rather only as artificial reefs.

Kind've like the difference between a forest and a tree farm, if you take my meaning ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
On the other hand, having dove a real shipwreck recently, I'll no longer be able to think of these ships as wrecks ... but rather only as artificial reefs.

Kind've like the difference between a forest and a tree farm, if you take my meaning ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is very true, artificial reef is what they are. Since I have not done any diving on a real wreck, this is the next best thing. One of these days I want to dive a real wreck, this will have to do for now. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom