Scooter gauges- clipped off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

All you people that mount your compass and bottom timers to your scooters (great write up BTW fdog!) Do you also wrist mount a second set for when the scooter is clipped off?

Just curious is all. Thanks

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

I don't mount a depth gauge on my scooter, but I do put a compass there, and yes, I wear one on my wrist as well.

I don't mount a depth gauge on my scooter, but I do put a compass there, and yes, I wear one on my wrist as well.
Same here. If I had room or made a mount large enough for a bottom timer/depth gauge I probably would have added one. The compass I use all the time on the scooter. It is easy enough to look at my bottom timer/depth gauge mounted on my wrist though.

Absolutely. I have an old Suunto air computer that I got for free, which use I as a BT/depth gauge, and a spare SK-7 compass, both permanently mounted to the scooter. _Neither_ is the primary instrument I rely on underwater. Those belong on my wrist.

The scooter compass and depth/bottom timer is simply for convenience while on the trigger and nothing more.

There are a lot of times you "clip off" a scooter, and not just to yourself - inside a wreck, along a passage in a cave, etc. Your primary information instruments belong attached to you, and anything else is just convenience/redundancy.

Thanks for the props!

Yes, I always wear a compass and a bottom timer (computer). If I need to abandon the scooter or hand it off, I can carry on the dive. I use the console on the scooter for navigation and profile.

All the best, James

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it. Im no where near buying a scooter, just curious really. My Vyper is getting a little flaky (the beeper keeps cutting out and i cant download profiles with the SDM4 'upgraded' software) Instead of flipping it for something else (i like the Xen VERY much) i might hang on to it in case.

Cheers

On my Aquazepp I have a OMS bottom timer and a large compass and If the scooter fails or is passed off I always have on my wrist my primary computor.

Back
Top Bottom