NASA Tech Briefs: "Invent the Future" Contest: << Ultralight SCUBA Entry>>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uga82grad

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I'm curious if there's any interest in an "Ultralight SCUBA Diving Apparatus" for shallow water beach diving on vacation?

NASA: Tech Briefs Website is devoted to sharing NASA technology with the public. They have a contest every year called "CREATE THE FUTURE" where regular everyday people submit their ideas for products they'd like to see on the market. I entered one of my closed-circuit oxygen rebreather designs this year, and I'm interested in getting some feedback from the diving public in general, and especially from seniors and older divers (and vets with prostheses) who may be starting to have problems with the weight of standard SCUBA gear. I'm advocating for an alternative that the dive equipment manufacturer's say there's no market for----A simple lightweight economical shallow water rebreather.

Click the link below to see the details.

Create the Future Design Contest :: Ultralight SCUBA Diving Device

Hydro6.jpg

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack

Jack,

After reading your proposal it certainly sounds interesting and is very compact and clutter free.

However concerns are;
That I fail to see a realistic or large enough market for the product; I have given it a great deal of consideration and read your own suggestions. A smaller capacity, lighter compressed air cylinder still provides considerable dive time at <6m without the increased oxygen exposure.
Serious risk of pulminary oxygen toxicity.; 1-2 hours on oxygen to P1.6 in one dive is considerably over the advised time limit for a single exposure. I don't have toxicity tables to hand but I think 2 hours is nearing the 24 hour limit.
Even with an alarm for 6m I would be concerned about the risk of central nervous system toxicity from divers exceeding the recommended partial pressure. To my knowledge P1.6 is considered max for deco stops, whereas P1.4 more generally accepted for recreational diving, so a shallower alarm would be more appropriate.
Can you take O2 in carry on luggage?

Sorry if I am confusing getting confused about the technicalities of a/your oxygen rebreather, is the diver breathing pure O2?

Nic

Disclaimer
I am neither a rebreather diver, not much of a dive chemistry/physiology expert

Last edited:
Jack,

After reading your proposal it certainly sounds interesting and is very compact and clutter free.

However concerns are;
That I fail to see a realistic or large enough market for the product; I have given it a great deal of consideration and read your own suggestions. A smaller capacity, lighter compressed air cylinder still provides considerable dive time at <6m without the increased oxygen exposure.
Serious risk of pulminary oxygen toxicity.; 1-2 hours on oxygen to P1.6 in one dive is considerably over the advised time limit for a single exposure. I don't have toxicity tables to hand but I think 2 hours is nearing the 24 hour limit.
Even with an alarm for 6m I would be concerned about the risk of central nervous system toxicity from divers exceeding the recommended partial pressure. To my knowledge P1.6 is considered max for deco stops, whereas P1.4 more generally accepted for recreational diving, so a shallower alarm would be more appropriate.
Can you take O2 in carry on luggage?

Sorry if I am confusing getting confused about the technicalities of a/your oxygen rebreather, is the diver breathing pure O2?

Nic

Disclaimer
I am neither a rebreather diver, not much of a dive chemistry/physiology expert

Hi MrsBBC,

I've seen OC rigs that provide that configuration you mentioned, but unfortunately they're limited to less than 15-20 minutes of actual dive time, for the average user. And they weigh a lot more than 10 lbs. Just not worth the effort for recreational purposes, but a darn good rescue unit for rapid deployments to pull someone out of a submerged vehicle.

I generally base most of my time/depth calculations for CNS and Pulmonary toxicity for hyperbaric oxygen on NAVY data found in their RUBICON library. But the individual's tolerance of course varies greatly with many factors contributing to the effects one might experience. Weight, sex, age, physical condition, disease and pre-existing medical conditions, drugs, and a whole host of other conditions all effect the final results. Civilian PPO2 exposure limits are also more conservative for Nitrox divers because of liability issues.

So, yes you're correct---going by the information you've been given. It was given to you to keep you alive, but more importantly, to protect those giving it to you from any liability. To cover their "arses" (forgive the language).

US Navy (current) data is for their average diver. Depths of 7 meters (22.97 FSW) for pure O2 are limited to a 4 hour exposure. We civilians usually knock that back to 6 meters (19.69 FSW) for pure O2 and limit exposure to about 2 hours, if our scrubber capacity allows it.

http://rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/4010/1/15485081.pdf

http://rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/3991/1/15233161.pdf

I personally dive for 1-2 hrs. and experience no problems, but I usually don't hang around at 20 ft for too long either.
So, long story short, you're right---to be safest on pure O2, limit depths to 10-15 ft, with exposures of less than 2 hours. Almost any individual can tolerate that. But don't try any of this before being trained and properly supervised by someone with experience who can teach you how to dive these devices.

There are no deco obligations for pure O2 rebreathers that I'm aware of (no dissolved nitrogen). Nitrox mixtures and deeper depths, involve the interplay of Nitrogen in that equation, and that's an entirely different can of worms (so to speak).

Yes, oxygen is available almost everywhere (but I won't mention all the sources that provide it). And once you're trained and experienced enough, one of your dive mates will tell you how and where. You can carry your tank empty on most airlines.

Cheers,
Jack

I think that it's a great idea, too bad the industry is such a hard sell. I've routinely used pure oxygen re-breathers with similar guidelines to those Jack identified, either an old Pirelli pendulum or a Carlton Cobra and I think that they're both great. I like the look of Jack's even more.

I'd buy one!

Michael

Thanks for such an in depth reply Jack.
.... I'm just a rookie

However, If I was a photographer it would be a sweet setup.

Nic

IMG_1505.jpgBrilliant idea! I assume you get the oxygen tank at your destination so you are not taking it on the plane. This is exactly the type of diving I do when I am on vacation in tropical waters. My solution has been to only bring a mask, fins, snorkel, regulator and a commercial diving harness. The harness is able to take a 30 or 40 cu/ft tank that I rent when I get there.

Thanks for such an in depth reply Jack.
.... I'm just a rookie

However, If I was a photographer it would be a sweet setup.

Nic
Thanks Mrs. BBC. You're no rookie, and weren't afraid to ask all the right questions about your concerns. These little rigs are not to be taken lightly, but with caution and vigilance they can be a real pleasure to dive!

Cheers.
Jack

I think that it's a great idea, too bad the industry is such a hard sell. I've routinely used pure oxygen re-breathers with similar guidelines to those Jack identified, either an old Pirelli pendulum or a Carlton Cobra and I think that they're both great. I like the look of Jack's even more.

Thanks Thalassamania, I appreciate it ! You know, if some manufacturer would "grow a pair of nuts" and just sell a nice rubber chest bag (like the old Pirelli), and scrubber (maybe even one that had the option to use pre-filled cartridges) and not even call it a rebreather, and allow us to add our own hoses, DSV, tanks, gauges, harnesses, valves, etc. THAT would be perfect !!! They could market it as a: "Rubber purse with built-in Potpouri container" for all I care ! And, we would know what to do with it ! :eyebrow:

Cheers,
Jack

View attachment 98825Brilliant idea! I assume you get the oxygen tank at your destination so you are not taking it on the plane. This is exactly the type of diving I do when I am on vacation in tropical waters. My solution has been to only bring a mask, fins, snorkel, regulator and a commercial diving harness. The harness is able to take a 30 or 40 cu/ft tank that I rent when I get there.

Thanks richkeller, I agree 100%. And I love your minimalist gear approach also. I especially like the heavy duty stainless rivets on your rig's straps ! Built like a tank! Those babies will be there until 3010. No problem stowing that as carry on.

And yes, if the airline won't allow me to carry my tank (I travel with a smaller tank than the M6) empty/valve out, then I know where to get my O2 when I get there, and switch valves to match what's available. :eyebrow: Next stop--hardware store!

Cheers,
Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom