Never been spear fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sabanist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Or lobstering for that matter.

I've only lived in South Florida for about 2 years and obtained my OW about a year ago. Lobster season is kind of a big deal here and spear fishing too.

I don't own a BC, Reg, and tanks yet. I usually rent that stuff, much less a spear gun. But my wife purchased a lobster kit for me from Diver's Direct.

any ideas on how I can try this out?

Is there a course or something I can do to get more knowledgeable on this sport?

thanks

Thanks, I'll do that, I posted here due to the lack of activity on that section

Just a forewarning- people tend to go crazy over min season in south fl- many divers get hurt or killed because they havent dove since last miniseason, their gear may have deteriorated, as well as their skills.

You may want to do a few things (purely suggestion here)
take two pre mini season dives to refresh the ol' skills, as well as making sure the set of gear you're getting is safe to dive with. The dive shops that rent gear get hammered with mini season divers renting nearly all of the gear the shops have, so the ''ole faithful'' from the back room's closet comes out- who knows how maintained it has been.

If you stay on it, you may be able to use the same gear that you used for your personal refresher dives for whatever hunting you plan on doing.

This information has been passed on to me from other, more knowledgeable south floridians, im actually a new yorker :idk:

be safe.
i'm leaving for boca raton in 4 weeks, if you ever want to do some nice relaxing (except for the surface swim, dam those surface swims) shore dives, just pm me on here, or read my thread

|| || ||
\/ \/ \/

Uh-huh. I'd stay away from SE Florida next week unless you like crowded dive sites and over-charges for you motel room (if you can find one) and everything else. The estimate is that around 30.000 people hit the coast and Upper Keys during Mini-Lobster. Usually a half a dozen people die in the water that week either from drowning, getting hit by boats or heart attacks in the water. Last year was an exception. Maybe the years before did the Darwinian effect of weeding out. --------What I did when I got interested in lobstering was to get with a DM who was on the boat on his day off to go lobstering. Cost nothing and he showed me the correct way to get the little boogers. Of course I missed the first one and grabbed an antenna. Mistake. It popped right off.( Little guy couldn't call home after that.) Mr. DM got him a few minutes later. Couldn't believe how strong these things are. You've really got to hold on.----Spearfishing is another thing altigether. I bought a gun and practiced shooting targets in the local 'Y' pool a couple afternoons 'til I figured that I could hit something. It's not that complicated and lots of fun, not only killing the fish and holding on but eating freshly-killed salt water fish. The first one I shot went to a local restaurant for my dinner that night. Same goes for the lobster. Yummy.

There is not skill involved in taking out lobster or fish on scuba. I assume you also hunt with a machine gun.

Or lobstering for that matter.

I've only lived in South Florida for about 2 years and obtained my OW about a year ago. Lobster season is kind of a big deal here and spear fishing too.

I don't own a BC, Reg, and tanks yet. I usually rent that stuff, much less a spear gun. But my wife purchased a lobster kit for me from Diver's Direct.

any ideas on how I can try this out?

Is there a course or something I can do to get more knowledgeable on this sport?

thanks

Check with the shops. Somebody is usually conducting training seminars.

‪How to Catch Florida Lobster‬‏ - YouTube

And be careful mini season.

Yep be careful when lobstering and make sure you are ready to dive unlike alot of the others out there. I say worry about lobstering first and just explore a little then move into spearfishing if you feel you will enjoy it. There are alot of ways to catch lobster, alot of times i just reach in a hole and grab them, but have heard of people getting bit by eels. (my buddies dad was once)

Yeah..I would back off for mini season. I have not done it for years and years. Enough out there (kinda) during regular season (August to March).

Last mini season I did, a boat hooked my float line on it's lower unit and took me for a ride before I got loose. I lost my buddy. My surface support lost me. And the other douche bag hunters did their thing with my float wrapped around their engine.

Fortunately some decent folks spotted me, picked me up and were able to locate my buddy.

Back
Top Bottom