Deco training done Florida style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidsdream

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last weekend I went to down to Florida to finally get my Deco cert. I had taken Advanced Nitrox a few years back (which allowed me to get O2 fills) and have been doing Deco dive for quite awhile, but I finally had time to take the class/get the card.

As usual my buddy John's hospitality was outstanding; which was ideal as I was taking the class with Dayo Scuba located in Winter Park, Florida.

After a day of classroom and dry-land work, we were off at O'dark thirty to make it to Hudson Grotto located about 10 miles South of Weeki Watchi (I was hoping to see a mermaid).

Hudson Grotto is simply a sink hole filled with the darkest water imaginable - it sucked every lumen out of my 10 watt HID. And to top that off there was a ten foot layer of hydrogen sulfide at 100'. I was still tasting rotten eggs for 2 days. Max depth of the sink is around 140', but we stayed above 130 during all 3 dives we did on the second day.

Day 3 had us at the famous 40 Fathoms Grotto located just outside of Ocala. 40 Fathoms is over 240' deep. We did both of our dives to 150' as specified by TDI's Deco Procedures class.

Entering the water at Hudson

Jeff+at+Hudson+Grotto+July+2011.jpg

The water was Tanic at Hudson

Hudson+Grotto.jpg

I denied I was narc'd at 40 Fathoms, but I swear I danced with a Polar Bear at 140'

Jeff+at+40+Fathoms2.jpg

And then I felt the need for some grooming right before I started the deco gases

Jeff+at+40+Fathoms+-+Grooming.jpg

But seriously, the class was a great experience and things went very smoothly

Jeff+at+40+Fathoms.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you have two deco bottles? You can now do the TDI Deco Proc course with a light(up to 20%) He mix, which is nice for the deeper dives. I agree, I think Hudson Grotto was one of the uglier places I've ever dived--I'm sure I was narced there at 100'.

Haven't been to 40 fathoms since I did my Deco and Trimix class there. I heard there have been some great changes. I still remember being Really Narced at 150'. Don't remember a polar bear, But I do think I saw a Mermaid! :D

It looks like you have two deco bottles? You can now do the TDI Deco Proc course with a light(up to 20%) He mix, which is nice for the deeper dives. I agree, I think Hudson Grotto was one of the uglier places I've ever dived--I'm sure I was narced there at 100'.
He stated that he had completed AN years past so he's probably doing an "accelerated deco". Something like 40/80 or 50/100? I'd probably use a single deco gas for a short dive to 150' but training is training so why not :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom