Inflatable raft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've asked some users in the SB chat about this, and they were very against it. But I figured ill ask the reasonable bunch of you what your feelings on this.

So for shore diving in florida, there are certain locations that are pretty far from shore. For example, the pompano dropoff is 400 yds from shore. This is quite a distance, and a pretty long swim (one user said 40 minutes steady- each way) so anyways, I want opinions on this.
A small inflatable raft seems like a halfway decent idea. It can fit in my car, not as expensive as a kayak, and sure beats swimming!

Things for consideration-
-Surf
-Current
-durability of the raft VS scuba gear
-Entry and exit of the raft
-weight limits in the raft
-Securing raft once at dive site

+Now in Southeast Florida, surf is mostly calm. Yes once in a while it is over 4 ft, but not too often.
+Current would effect the swimming diver just as much as a rafting diver
+Certain precautions would need to be taken so sharp edges would not pierce the raft. Are there really sharp things on a scuba unit anyway? sharp enough probably
+Exiting the raft at the dive sight would be done 2 ways- 1) You could suit up in the raft and enter the water in whatever ungraceful way possible 2) you could inflate your BCD and don gear in while in the water, not the raft (might be best option)
+rafts have multiple weight limits, i've researched some and have seen 300 lbs, 400, 700, and up.
I'd say a 700 lb raft would be able to handle two divers and their gear
+ once at the dive site the raft would have the flag attached to the raft, and a anchor could be created (Dragging the raft /flag would be a waste of energy

What do you think?
Please give CONSTRUCTIVE advice, not just stupid comments that are non helpful to the topic

Blackvans--Id suggest you borrow one and try what you a re proposing in a swimming pool. Freinds of mine are canoe diving and they tell me getting in and out of the water is a bit of a nightmare. Try it and see what you think.

I say no, current is pretty rough so i would suggest dragging through the dive, and ocean can kick up from less than 2 to 2-4 in an hour which would really push an inflatable a bit.

Your idea might work for a while but long term the raft will not hold up.

A plastic kayak is far superior, and can be used for simple enjoyment of touring around on top of the water when not diving.

Look into an inflatable river kayak/or raft. These are very durable and can be found used for a reasonable price. These will hold up to anything you through at it including being washed into the rocks.

I've been looking into this myself. I've found some REALLY durable one's that can hold a ton of weight and are perfect for this for under $200 on ebay. I plan on picking one up when I get the money. It will be used more for lakes, rivers, ect. but also used on the great lakes---in particular lake Michigan.

Before you give it any thought, consider 2 things first.
- How are you going to anchor on site?
- How are you going to display your dive flag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom