Looking to use an underwater hose breathing system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDteam

New
Reaction score
Hey all, I am new to the boards and wasn't quite sure where to ask this. I am not quite sure what I am looking for equipment wise. But here is what I want to do.

Me and another person will be diving in small bodies of water such as lakes or slow moving creeks/rivers to look for objects. We wouldn't expect to be going any deeper than probably 20 feet. For something like this it seems scuba gear is a little intense. We are looking for something like a tube based breathing system so one of us can stay down near the bottom for extended periods of time.

Which systems would you recommend? We are looking for something on the cheap end, it doesn't have to be super crazy nice or anything. We would use it maybe 8 times per year or so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have no direct experience with this type of diving, but I believe if you search for "Hookah-Systems" in the DIY section you should get some thoughts to head you in the right direction.

Hope this helps!

Michael

Even with Hookah type diving you are going to need basic scuba certification or you will have difficulty purchasing equipment, having tanks filled, etc not to mention the obvious safety concerns. Most of the bad stuff that happens in scuba is within the last 20' of the surface.

Hey all, I am new to the boards and wasn't quite sure where to ask this. I am not quite sure what I am looking for equipment wise. But here is what I want to do.

Me and another person will be diving in small bodies of water such as lakes or slow moving creeks/rivers to look for objects. We wouldn't expect to be going any deeper than probably 20 feet. For something like this it seems scuba gear is a little intense. We are looking for something like a tube based breathing system so one of us can stay down near the bottom for extended periods of time.

Hi DD, welcome to the board!

As I understand your question, you're looking for something akin to a long snorkel. Unfortunately this won't work. In spite of the shows you see on TV with someone breathing from a bamboo rod in 5' of water, we can't do that. As you get deeper, water pressure increases squeezing your lungs. You don't have the muscles to overcome this pressure, so once you exhale, you won't be able overcome the external pressure to inhale.

Additionally, breathing through a long tube would likely cause a huge dead air space and subsequent buildup of carbon dioxide. Without a way to vent this, you would not have sufficient volume or lung exchange to push your exhaled air all the way out the top of the tube in order to suck in fresh air. Eventually you'd pass out and drown.

SCUBA works because the regulator system you breathe from delivers air to you at whatever the ambient pressure is for your current depth, so you're able to overcome the pressure issue when taking a breath. As others have mentioned, a Hookah system is one way to accomplish your goal. It's basically a floating compressor that pumps air through a long hose. But you still need proper training before going that route as well.

You didn't mention what you consider an extended time - depending on your definition you may find that a regular SCUBA tank and gear meets your needs just as well.

One final thought, SCUBA is not the place you want to be looking for stuff on the cheap end, because unfortunately, you're likely to find it. Instead, I'd encourage you to look for the best value, meaning that you may pay a bit more for proper instruction and gear than you want, but it will be worth every penny in the long run. Remember that it always costs more to have to buy things twice, so don't skimp on the course or the equipment.

Go on Ebay and Google and look for "hookah". There's probably some for sale on this board too.

If you are already certified and have scuba equipment you can just splice in 50' of hose between your first and second stage so you can leave the tank on the surface. You would also want to add a life line to the hose so as you move the stress is on the line not the hose. You would also need to attach the diver end of the hose to a harness that ideally can also carry a small bailout bottle like the one pictured below.

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 199
If you are already certified and have scuba equipment you can just splice in 50' of hose between your first and second stage so you can leave the tank on the surface.

There's a reason your first stage adjusts to ambient pressure at your depth. You cannot leave the first stage on the surface.

Dragging through muck slush crud snags tree roots and other
junk a hose attached to an air lift is already too much schlepp

Now that's intense.

There's a reason your first stage adjusts to ambient pressure at your depth. You cannot leave the first stage on the surface.

Apparently, you can:
(AFTER YOU'RE CERTIFIED)

Kayak Diving Hose Kits
With Brownie’s Kayak Diving Hose Kits you can leave your tank topside and move about freely and effortlessly as the hose glides behind you - out of sight and out of mind. So many different applications and configurations make our Hoses and Kayak Diving Hose Kits a MUST! Our proprietary Quick Release Swivel (QRS) fittings greatly reduce hose kinks while diving and also make it a snap to add or subtract hose sections. Kayak Hose Kits™
Part # KDHK-20
Part # KDHK-40
Part # KDHK-60
Part # KDHK-100
Part # KDHK-150

Each Brownie’s Kayak Hose Kit includes 3 sections of hose and a tow belt! Main hose lengths are available in 20, 40, 60, 100, and 150 feet.

The kit replaces the hose on your scuba regulator. Want to do some conventional diving on scuba?

There’s no need to unscrew the kit from your first and second stages; simply remove the main hose length
Kayak Diving Hose Kits
With Brownie’s Kayak Diving Hose Kits you can leave your tank topside and move about freely and effortlessly as the hose glides behind you - out of sight and out of mind. So many different applications and configurations make our Hoses and Kayak Diving Hose Kits a MUST! Our proprietary Quick Release Swivel (QRS) fittings greatly reduce hose kinks while diving and also make it a snap to add or subtract hose sections. Kayak Hose Kits™
Part # KDHK-20
Part # KDHK-40
Part # KDHK-60
Part # KDHK-100
Part # KDHK-150

Each Brownie’s Kayak Hose Kit includes 3 sections of hose and a tow belt! Main hose lengths are available in 20, 40, 60, 100, and 150 feet.

The kit replaces the hose on your scuba regulator. Want to do some conventional diving on scuba?

There’s no need to unscrew the kit from your first and second stages; simply remove the main hose length

You might find a gold-dredger's rig ideal for your needs. That's a compressor on the surface (sometimes on a large float) delivering air down a long hose in real time, no tanks. We have lots of folks in our Northwest rivers searching for gold on such a rig, and they are often available used. Try searching your local Craigslist under "dredging."

-Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom