Belize / Honduras / Grand Cayman choice, looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ashmai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The wife and I are cruising soon, and hitting Belize, Honduras, and Grand Cayman. We want to dive at one of these places, but aren't sure how to best choose! Any advice? I would prefer to not go through the cruise line, and work with a local dive shop.

Experience;
I have about 40 dives under my belt, the majority off the coast of California (Catalina Island, Long Beach, etc). About 15 dives were warm waters (80's), the rest in the 50's with 8mm on. I feel fairly comfortable in the water.

My wife however has ONLY dove cold water, and would really like her first warm water experience to be amazing. She has about 12 dives, all in Catalina and in 8mm suits.

The question is, if you could dive either of those three locations but had to choose, which would it be? And if you have experience at those locations, perhaps a recommendation for a dive shop?

I appreciate it! (So does the wife) :)

Ash

I would suggest Roatan. Great dives and little to no current on most places. I use Barefoot Divers. Great crew, 6 pack boats and guided by DM. I have not dove you other locations, so I can't comment on those.

I have done all those while crusing Belize being by far the best.

Cayman. I've used Divers Down in the past

Last edited:
I'd prefer Roatan but unless you are hooked up with a dive excursion with your cruise ship you'll find it hard to get a dive in because of time restraints.

I have been to all three countries multiple times - great diving, pleasant people. My favorite diving, by far, has been done on Little Cayman Island at Bloody Bay Wall.

I'd dive all three! There is a nice shore dive on Grand Cayman within walking distance from the port at Eden Rock. I haven't done Belize from a cruise ship, but the diving there was probably better than Grand Cayman, and I haven't been to Roatan yet. If you get on a boat at Grand Cayman, I would try to do a North Wall/Stingray City combo.

Hi Ash! Thanks for asking for opinions - that's always a great way to get a cross section of what's out there. I meet a lot of people from cruise ships, and most don't have much idea what's going on for diving at any of the ports they visit.

I'd like to comment a moment on your thread, and what others have replied, if I might. I am not trying to offend anyone - this is just response from someone who works in the industry. Hope you all take in the spirit of giving good advice.

First off, I work as a dive instructor on one of those three islands, but having never dove the other two, I won't comment on better or worse. Others can help you make that choice. Regardless, the shop I work for deals mostly with the cruise lines: so if you're coming off a boat, you WILL get a local dive shop to take you diving. You won't get to some of the diving suggested in the threads - the timing of your ship determines where you go. Your dive profiles "should" also be strictly enforced: that sucks for most experienced divers, but coming off a boat the majority of cruising divers don't carry computers and therefore we have to rely on PADI dive tables to keep you safe. It's a majority rules, unfortunately. Also, surface intervals get kept short to give you dive time and get you back to your ship on time as well.

So do you book with your shore ex manager on the boat? I'll say this - they work with dive shops on the island with proven safety records, proven customer service, and provide the best dive runs in the time allotted. We have to - or we lose the contract. You MAY be able to walk off the boat and go diving with another shop, but timing will be the issue, and most don't cater to your ship's times. The contracted ones do. Walk ins generally get to shore dive.

Wherever you dive, I hope you have a great time!! If you come to my island and I'm on the boat with you, I KNOW you'll have two great dives!! :) Remember your weighting will change in 80 some degree water - we recommend 3-5% of your body weight and we always do a weight check before the first dive to keep you safe. Enjoy your cruise and the beautiful Caribbean! Much different than cold water diving!!

First off, I work as a dive instructor on one of those three islands, but having never dove the other two, I won't comment on better or worse. Others can help you make that choice. Regardless, the shop I work for deals mostly with the cruise lines: so if you're coming off a boat, you WILL get a local dive shop to take you diving. You won't get to some of the diving suggested in the threads - the timing of your ship determines where you go. Your dive profiles "should" also be strictly enforced: that sucks for most experienced divers, but coming off a boat the majority of cruising divers don't carry computers and therefore we have to rely on PADI dive tables to keep you safe. It's a majority rules, unfortunately. Also, surface intervals get kept short to give you dive time and get you back to your ship on time as well.

So do you book with your shore ex manager on the boat? I'll say this - they work with dive shops on the island with proven safety records, proven customer service, and provide the best dive runs in the time allotted. We have to - or we lose the contract. You MAY be able to walk off the boat and go diving with another shop, but timing will be the issue, and most don't cater to your ship's times. The contracted ones do. Walk ins generally get to shore dive.

Just a few comments. In most ports of call, it is possible to dive with a dive op that is not affiliated with the cruise line. In fact, most ops in Cozumel, quite a few in Grand Cayman, a couple in Nassau, Grand Turk, and other various islands around theCaribbean, generally have a boat designated for cruise ship divers, especially if it is an island that gets a lot of ships in. Also, most outside ops are well aware of the times different ships are in port, back on board times, etc. The reason I know this is I worked on a ship for 3 years, diving off of one for just under 2. I have about 60 dives or so off of a cruise ship, a majority of those booked with a shop besides the one the ship recommends. I never once missed the ship, or came close to missing the ship, and even had time for lunch/dinner and a beer after most dives.

After looking at your profile, I think I know where and what shop you work for. If it is the one I am thinking of, I have been diving with you guys, and I would recommend you as a dive op. I found you quite a good operation.

You guys are awesome, and the info here extremely helpful.

I really appreciate the advice, and will keep hitting the topic up for other posts.

As to my reasoning for wanting to dive with an operation outside of the one offered by the cruise line, I just heard that the cruise line ones are typically full of more people with less experience. I'm not saying I'm the most experienced diver in the boat by any means, but I do like to spend my full tank of air (well, 500psi left over of course!) and won't hesitate hovering around 80 - 110 feet if i'm exploring something awesome :) I wouldn't want to be limited to diving in 40 feet of water for 30 minutes, on a boat heavily laden with tourists :)

However I'm totally making assumptions! And that is why I look for advice here. When I think of local dive Op that isn't being sent cruise ship traffic like cattle, I think less people, more freedom with the dive, and better individual attention. I could be totally wrong!

I know I will love whatever we do, I have dove Ambergris Caye Belize for a week, about a year ago, and LOVED it. But my wife was unable to go. Cold water diving has slowly turned her off from scuba (she says its too cold for her, she is kinda tiny) and I REALLY want this next dive in warm climate to re-kindle her love of diving. Show her you can dive, and not be cold, and see amazing beauty :)

/end rambling

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom