A reluctant Sb'ers first night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underthesea81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So when I first got certified 3 months back, the one thing I said I didn't want to do/never cared if I did was a nightdive, so of course 20 dives later I was reluctantly doing my first night dive. Now My instructor was having me do it as part of my AWS certification so it had to be done,nonetheless wasn't pumped.
Understanding my trepidation, my amazing instructor planned a shore dive with Max depth of about 15 feet off the SE FL shore. We entered at heavy twilight, and began to dive. Little nervous at first, but as te first couple minutes went by I noticed how amazing this was, it was a completely new experience and a whole different environment than the same one I had seen just 7 days prior. Everything was so alive! The coral the life and even my senses. We saw so many amazing things from golden stingray, to multiple eel and tons of fish, to what I think was a tarpon(shined my light dead ahead and saw a large 5-6 foot fish about 40 feet away) to my first squid which was amazing! And some luminescent organisms that were amazing, also all these little organisms on the coral which wa so alive! We surfaced a few times just to look around and it was so amazing to be in the dark with the moon in the water. Other than nailing my instructor wit my light a bunch of times, it went off with great success, I have been turned! Already looking forward to my next night dive, Maybe even a boat drop into. 45-60 reef :wink:
Shout out to MB and scubajenny for the awesome time!

Congrats on your night dive. I found it did the same thing. Opened a whole new world to an already amazing sport. I love night dives. Here's to hoping you do many more. :)

I was pretty ambivalent about night diving at first . . . but I learned to love it. I think in a lot of places, there are more things out and about at night than there are in the daytime! Glad your instructor took the time to make sure you had a good experience.

(Not to dangle shiny objects in front of you, but OLED gauges ROCK for night diving!)

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was also a bit hesitant to try night diving, when we first took our OW training. The thought of swimming in dark water, not having any idea what might be out there, and thinking that I'd only be able to see the short distance where my light was shining, was a bit intimidating.

Like you, after the first night dive, I found the experience fascinating. We've since made a point of getting in a night dive on every dive trip, and hope to arrange one when we go to Hawaii in a couple of months. Were we going to the Big Island, I think we'd have to plan on trying the Pelagic Magic dive. It's a night dive, about three miles or so offshore, floating tethered to lines suspended from the boat, about fifty feet deep, over an abyss that extends many thousands of feet below you. It'd be both creepy and awesome at the same time.

I was also a bit hesitant to try night diving, when we first took our OW training. The thought of swimming in dark water, not having any idea what might be out there, and thinking that I'd only be able to see the short distance where my light was shining, was a bit intimidating.

Like you, after the first night dive, I found the experience fascinating. We've since made a point of getting in a night dive on every dive trip, and hope to arrange one when we go to Hawaii in a couple of months. Were we going to the Big Island, I think we'd have to plan on trying the Pelagic Magic dive. It's a night dive, about three miles or so offshore, floating tethered to lines suspended from the boat, about fifty feet deep, over an abyss that extends many thousands of feet below you. It'd be both creepy and awesome at the same time.

All I can say is...

Wow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom