Jupiter for Juniors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heydn62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a son (14yo AOW) and daughter (12yo OW) who have enjoyed diving in Key Largo and we will probably head back down soon to dive again. I've never been diving in Jupiter, but would like to. Should I consider diving there with the kids, or should we stick to the Keys.

If we stay there, are there any recommendations for lodging?

In my opinion, Jupiter is not a good option for your children since Jupiter dives tends to be deep: 75-90 feet or deeper. I have seen young divers on dive boats in Jupiter, but I'd think you'd be better off sticking to shallow sites further south: especially for the 12 year old who is probably only certified to go down to 60 feet anyway. Jupiter is also drift dive territory and sometimes the current is ripping: something I am not sure I'd want to expose a youngster to.

Boynton Beach has some beautiful reefs that are about 60 feet deep and Pompano has reefs that are no more than 30 feet deep. In Boynton Beach, you can use Under Water Explorers and in Pompano, you can use South Florida Dive Headquarters. If the kids are good swimmers, you can also shore dive Lauderdale by the Sea. As you already discovered, Key Largo is ideal for young divers.

I appreciate the reply. I'll probably save Jupiter for a time I'm not with them. Of course, my kids want to see "some big things". That's why I was considering Jupiter. (Plus it's about 2 hrs closer). :D

I'll also look into the other places you mention. They're actually better swimmers than I am.

I love diving Jupiter, but if you're going to stay above 60', it's going to be difficult. There are a few reefs where the top of the reef is 59-68. West Palm is 10 minutes south of Jupiter, and the sand is at 60'.

boyton is a better choice for that age group. another 35 minutes on the road each way...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom