What type of rope do you use to attach your equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janosik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I mean the kind of rope that one might use to attach a pistol-style dive light, or a camera. I would use one large clip on the equipment itself to clip it to one of my top D-rings when I can safely do so, and I would have another attachment point at the end of a 3-foot rope that connects my equipment to a bottom D-ring on my BC, so that I can immediately drop equipment at any time without the risk of losing it in case I need to react to something and do not want to waste time and focus to fasten it to my top D-ring. I do not expect the line to hold up more than a few pounds of weight, although I would still pick a thick one to reduce the risk of entanglement.

I have so far used what I think is a diamond-braided nylon polypropylene rope, a standard item from Home Depot. I chose this one, for it claims to be weather-resistant, so presumably it holds up well when submerged. I did notice that after several dives, this rope starts to look a bit roughed up, and I wonder if and how long I can still trust it. I also noticed that despite being braided, the ends disintegrate when in the water. Melting them with a lighter and securing with a duct tape helps to some degree, but I suspect the rope is going to eventually rot and break. Preparing a new one every few dives or so takes too much time. I am looking for a solution that can survive several dozen dives over a year or more and won't rot or break.

Well, these work: Gear Keeper Large SCUBA Flashlight/Camera Retractor Kit | eBay
There are also spiral "things" that are springy (I really cannot describe them) and retract well.

As for rope, a nylon rope would work, as would a the rope you describe. It will look rough, but it should not rot.

I prefer a wrist strap for what you describe. I have a bolt snap on the base to attach it to my BC.

Thank you for the response. I thought about various retractors, but do you not get fatigued when you hold a camera or light on a springing retractor for an extended period of time? I like video recording and tend to just hold a small point and shoot camera in one hand and light in the other for much of the dive, such as maybe for 30 minutes non-stop. I would put them on wrist lanyards or clip them back several times during the dive, such as when I need to focus on some task, and then I would resume.

I have my camera on a wrist strap just because it's so buoyant and somewhat hard for me to hold onto. I'm yet to encounter a situation that was so urgent that I didn't have 3 seconds to clip off something but not urgent enough that I was concerned about losing it.

This might be what Hashime meant: Cetacea Scuba Coil Lanyard Gear Attachment Clip PK #2 on eBay!
I had one on my first dive light, but found it to have too much slack for my taste when stowed.

Rope? my first thought is rope = entanglement hazard. I would much prefer the gear retractor or the coil. Both work fine. The coil does not create mcu strain hoeing the camera. The only think I would keep rope for is deep in a pocket to be used if my buddy and I surfaced minus the boat. Probably never to be used. The rope would tie us together while surviving.
04.gif

Thanks. As far as clipping: I cannot see some of my D-rings, and I found that in 5mm gloves, clipping and unclipping things gets tricky when you cannot see and feel the rings and snaps. I lost a camera once; it was secured well to my D-rings with 2 small bolt snaps, and I believe I ended up accidentally unclipping both of them when operating in thick gloves in cold murky water without being able to see clearly. Ever since, I make my bottom attachment point such that I cannot accidentally undo it under water, other than by just cutting through the rope using my net cutter, and I use an extra large bolt snap for the top D-ring.

Besides the risk of accidental unclipping, I think being able to immediately ditch my camera and let it dangle is essential for me to prevent the feeling of being overly task-loaded. I just do not want to have to worry about securing an additional piece of equipment.

@farsidefan1: A thicker rope does not seem to tangle even when stashed in a pocket during entries and exits, and I can always cut through it. I think I am going to give a coil spring a shot.

I like to use military 550 parachute cord for anything small i need to secure with rope. But a gear retractor would probably be the best bet in your situation as others have pointed out.

I make all mine out of 3mm bungee inside a soft rubber tube
that wraps all the way around my wrist and incorporate a clip

These give you the required amount of shock absorbtion, when
it is necessary for both your gear and your wrists, for snagging

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom