Diving Ft lauderdale in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are planning a dive trip to Ft Lauderdale and the area for next month (August). Our plan is to make some reef and wreck dives (which I understand might take us to 100'), some drift dives, and some night dives. We might even make it down to Key Largo for a day. Our big question is this: What is the proper dress for the water down there this time of year? Any wetsuit recommended, at all? If so, what thickness? Or, will shorts and a t-shirt be sufficient? Or something else altogether?

We see plenty of dive operator recommendations on the board; but if anyone feels any of them is really great, feel free to let us know. You can let us know off line if you wish at jenspot(at)cox(dot)net.

Thanks very much!

No wetsuit, the water will be about 88 degrees or so. I usually go shirtless but at most I would say a shorty.

sea experience is the operator I would reccomend. you can find them at seaxp.com

We dove with Jim Abernathy's SCUBA Adventures in West Palm and I don't know if we'd go with any one else if in the area. They were great! Even our LDS owner who has a LOT more experience with operators keeps talking about how impressed he was with them.

BTW, we were in shorties in May so expect warm water.

I've been wearing a diveskin or shorts and a rashguard to 100' with no problem. You can't go wrong with Sea Experience in Lauderdale or Conch Republic in Key Largo.

Warmmmm waters :D

If you're doing shore dives/night shore dives just let me know :) I'll be down August 15th onward, and am in desperate need of buddies

I just dove with Key Largo Dive Center and will definitely be diving with them again - they have a really large boat on which they take no more than six divers out, and they go with a minimum of 2. The other day my buddy and I did an amazing double dip on the Duane/Bibb with them. My preference is the smaller boats with less divers, especially when price is close or the same.

Dove there last month the water was over 80 deg. even at 100 foot. You will not need a wet suit. Who ever you use try to get on hte Tenneco Towers. Great site.

We dove with Jim Abernathy's SCUBA Adventures in West Palm and I don't know if we'd go with any one else if in the area. They were great! Even our LDS owner who has a LOT more experience with operators keeps talking about how impressed he was with them.

BTW, we were in shorties in May so expect warm water.

There simply aren't any "bad" dive ops, they wouldn't stay in business if they were bad :)

I second Conch Republic in Tavernier. I have dove with them multiple times with the last time in August 2010. I am cold natured and wore a shorty. Between the fire coral and the sharp metal of the Spiegel Grove (bad current), I wish I have worn my 3mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom