Halcyon wing worth the extra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norcal_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I just moved to NorCal and started diving again. I saw lots of people diving double tank using Halcyon wings. Upon research, Halcyon wing is almost $200 other brands (Oxycheq, DSS). I wonder if there is any advantage from Halcyon, or it is just their brand.

Brand.

From personal experience I'd say that there customer service/warranty was excellent, but I've heard others on the forum say they've had a less than satisfying experience.

My next wing will be either DSS or Oxycheq, depending on price.

I have two Halcyon doubles wings and a DSS single wing. Dani dives a DSS doubles wing and says she prefers it. I don't think you can go wrong either way though I would urge you to read Tobins wing "sizing" article before choosing which size (lift) to get. Bigger is not always better.

Don't know the DSS wings. Both H and Oxcy are very good and will serve you well for many years.

Quality & toughness wise, is the H wing more compatible to Oxy extreme series or Vortex series?

They are all pretty much made of the same tough materials and will last a very long time if looked after. Technology has changed the game so much that you will be hard pressed to find bad quality equipment.

I have 2 DSS double rigs and 1 single halcyon. I see no difference in the quality. The only thing I like more about halcyon is the existence of MC pack. I put it myself on one of the DSS rigs.

They are all pretty much made of the same tough materials and will last a very long time if looked after. Technology has changed the game so much that you will be hard pressed to find bad quality equipment.

I was talking to a group of DIR divers on Sunday on a dive site. They all pretty much have H stuff. One of them recommended H wing over others. I have been using Oxy 40lb single wing myself. Honestly, I think its shape is much better than the H Eclipse 40lb. The Oxy is narrower and taco much less. Have that said, I have never use a H wing. I won't know what I missed. I figured all these DIR/GUE Tech divers should have a logical reason to spend more $$ for the H wing.

Just reference, Oxycheq Vertex signature series $288 vs Halcyon's $465. I am really leaning toward the Oxy.

I am a big fan of the H brand and have 2 wings, plates and lights. That's just me. BUT, if I had to do again and I would still get the H lights & plates and most likely get the Oxcycheq wings and use the odd $400 on a nice undergarment for my drysuit. Their equipment is very good but pricy!!

Back
Top Bottom